"on the fly"

I"ve  read that Rega TT's require VTA adjustment by shims, and other TT's [like VTA's, etc.] can accomplish this   on the fly. Other TT's perhaps are in the middle.. Can anyone explain what this means?
boofer
tketcham.....  platter mats always change the sound of the turntable.. So...not only are you changing the record height, but also the sound.  Too many variables for me.  I can change sra very eaily with my tonearm, but its really not worth the hastle.  I set it and forget it.

Hi, stringreen,

I've found that the Herbie's Donut mats I use can actually sound better than a bare platter with thinner LPs because they reduce resonance vibrations (distortion) and especially because the mats maintain correct SRA when using micro-line and micro-ridge LOMC cartridges, which seem to be more sensitive to SRA. The heavyweight LPs are used without a mat.

Occasionally having to swap mats to accommodate different LP thicknesses takes all of 10 to 15 seconds of additional time. For me it's worth the effort. (Consider that most of my LPs are 1.0 to 1.1 mm thick and use the same mats so I don't change mats that often.)

Regards,

Tom