Improving 2- Channel Soundstage

I don't know if I'm asking my question in the right topic area but I figured folks with HT experience may be able to help. It may also sound like an odd/stupid question so please bear with me. I'm a 2-channel/stereo audio guy and I'm trying to improve the soundstage in my listening experience. Has anyone tried a set up where you put another pair of (smaller) speakers between the (front) 2-channel speakers, closer together and pushed further back behind the two main speakers, sort of like deeper into the soundstage. I suppose using a "center" speaker/channel is another option. Now, would using the main speakers as front and the two behind them as rear/surround or cenetr speakers and apply an EQ such as "Hall" or "Concert" help with creating a deeper soundstage? This is of course assuming the source material is just 2-channel audio and the EQ choices are based on what the HT receiver can offer. Thanks.   
128x128kalali
@kalali Yes, bass traps in the corners behind the speakers. 

Check out Ethan Winer's writings on AA for good explanation of why bass traps are helpful in many(I might argue MOST) rooms. Cheers,
Spencer
@kalali I'm curious about the progress you've made over the past few months. Erik has been spot on. I hope you've seen positive result by implementing his advice.

Just saw this thread.  Instead of trying to put more speakers in-between or behind and using HT modes to artificially create a larger soundstage/ambience (such as HALL mode, etc.), I would try putting some diffusor panels on the front wall in between the left/right speakers.  Try looking at the GIK Acoustics Q7d diffusor.  Two or three of these mounted up on the front wall vertically about the listening level should make the room sound a lot larger.

Beyond acoustics, I found that quality electronics can affect soundstage. Look towards upgrading power cords connectors, fuses, interconnect connectors.  Go for rhodium plated Furutech all the way through (including the fuses).  This should significantly improve the resolution and soundstage depth of your audio.

Trying to use surround modes such as HALL or ORCHESTRA can make it sound like your in a large venue or echo chamber, but it lessens the attack and impact of sounds, which is important in my opinion. 

Dealing with the acoustics is the best solution as @auxinput and others have mentioned.

When you begin mixing 2-channel and HT concepts, it quickly feeds the notion that HT can't accurately playback stereo information...which is true when you don't know what you're doing...and most don't. The vast majority of the HT products don't have "surround modes" equipped to accurately reproduce the nuances of the recording. I'm not persuaded spilling rhoduim everywhere will do the trick either...but to each their own.

@kalali Taming your acoustics will produce noticeable results. I would recommend staying away from the surround modes unless you're willing to invest in the electronics that will do the jobs correctly.

I've found that a center does more harm than good with what is traditionally considered the 'soundstage'.

The autocalibration routines in most AVRs are going to set the center volume to be equal to that of the fronts because from an HT-centric perspective, dialog is equally important as L/R content.

But for music, what ends up happening, from my experience, is that this is too high a level and the soundstage becomes non-descript, almost 'mono' sounding.

For multi-channel music, or some of the HT modes (such as NEO6 or PLII, etc, et al), I manually lower the center level until some semblance of L/R separation and soundstage 'returns', then save the setup in one of the memory settings.

For 2-channel, all the funny sound modes get turned off and I get much better soundstage results with just L/R.