$5,000 to spend for analog front end - advice please...:)

Long-time audiophile who has not touched analog for ~15 years... thinking of getting back in.

Reading about current choices in analog gear makes my eyes glaze over... info overload...

Last rig circa 2000 was Ariston RD11/Black Widow/Grace F9E into CJ pre/ARC power and Maggies. Remember that table was quite touchy... but had moments of brilliance. Remember VTA was super important, but was hard to get right. Also remember edge warping on some records was a major PITA.

Now have Modwright/Sony tube CDP to CJ ET5 to ARC VT50 to ProAc D30R/Rel sub for lowest octave support -- a good, reasonable, high res system without going overboard. Jazz and vocals listener, discerning ear for detail, body and PRAT, don’t like to tweak too much, just want to re-enjoy my LP collection which has been dormant/stored for years in addition to my CD’s.

Thinking roughly $5,000 would be a good number to throw at a fresh analog front end. That would need to include the phono stage as my CJ is a line stage...

VPI, SOTA, ClearAudio, Rega, Project... not sure where to turn, plus new names like Lehmann, Shelter, Soundsmith. Would prefer a relatively turn key system -- can handle follow-the-instructions set-up just fine but don’t want to get into endless fussing. Don’t want to do another Linn/Ariston. Something easier and more consistent.

Don’t think $5K will get me into a real low output MC rig given cost of proper amplification, even with solid state head amp. Also seeing the very cool Thorens retro-updates by Vinyl Nirvana... can those really perform like the modern stuff?

Reading no-brainers tables are VPI Scout or bundled Project tables... not sure about arms and cartridges. Prefer a classic TT look, no thanks to Michell Gyrodecks or giant air pumps or huge acrylic monstrosities... :)

New/demo or used from A-gon? Used VPI Classic or Aries?

Thoughts appreciated from those who are current and in the know. Thanks.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjjss49
VPI could have a "turn key" table.  I bought a Scout, with their arm, and a preinstalled Dynavector 20X HO  MC cartridge.  Not sure if they have better or upscale table/arm/cartridge systems, but I would check it out. You may want the speed controller.  This was a few years back  and cost $2,000.  I think the sound is stupendous.
Shopping used might get you to your goal, but maybe your budget is kind of low.  Which is fine, because more funds may change your outlook going forward.  You know too much to be satisfied with less, as your comments indicated.  VPI is a pretty obvious choice in this general budget range, and I've been pleased with my old Aries II for a long time. Upgrading to the 10.5i tonearm was a good step, so I'd recommend starting with that if possible.  Wish I'd done that at the beginning.  One of the Classic or Prime tables with 10.5i tonearm or better would be my recommendation.  Add a decent cartridge, and there goes your $5K, and you don't yet have a great phono stage.   Look down the road a bit and plan to get the ADS or SDS speed controller for the VPI at some point.  It will improve speed stability and sounds better.  Have a look at my system for more details of how I approached a similar project as the one you have in mind.  I'm not even going to mention how important a great phono stage can be. . .
For $3K to $4K and with some patience, you can find a Kenwood L07D in very good shape. That will include its tonearm (L07J) and a state of the art plinth (despite the fact that the L07D was built in the early 80s.) Assuming the previous owner performed some very routine service, like renewing the electrolytic capacitors, you are good to go.  You won't do better unless you spend more like $10K, IMO.

Features: coreless motor, constrained layer damping of the plinth, magnetic levitation of the platter that partially relieves the bearing, easy VTA adjustment, etc. No belts to fuss with.