Subwoofer cable question for those in the know...

My preamp has an extra set of line level outputs to drive a powered sub.

Would there be any advantage to running separate L/R cables since it is purely a bottom end booster, or can I Y the signal out/signal in and run just one cable between pre and sub?

Also, what is the difference in construction between "subwoofer cables" and ordinary shielded RCA cables?

I haven't seen anything definitive, and I assume they are designed to carry just a low frequency signal better, as opposed to full range signals?

Advice, of course, is greatly appreciated.

hossfly10
As they only need to relay lower frequencies, sub cables don't need to be as highly configured as regular speaker cables.
Even Vandersteen supplies rather ordinary cable with his subs. I use Cable Solutions, as recommended by Almarg.
http://www.cs1.net/products/cable_solutions/O2X-Series_12awg_speaker_cables.htm#purchase
Without knowing what sub and pre you are using limits what can be recommended.
For me, using a powered subs, I use two runs from the amp-one for speakers, and one for the subs if I don't have a crossover. Since both speakers and sub share the same signal, integration should be easier.
Bob
There is a slight difference in running 2 separate cables to the L/R inputs on the subwoofer vs. using a Y adapter at both your preamp and sub.  On my system, the 2 separate cables sounded a little better.   It's not a big deal and many wouldn't hear any difference at all.   I was using a VMPS sub and VMPS ribbon speakers.  They have very good definition.

I think one cable is fine. sub is mono. "Y" adapters can do more harm than good

To answer a few different posts and provide some info...

I have a JBL 8400P sub and it has both L/R line level inputs, 50-150hZ variable crossover control, phase switch etc.

AES3-MKII preamp (made by Cary) which has 2 sets of L/R line level outputs.

It is feeding a pair of modded Dynaco MKIV monoblocks. (Must give grannyring some props here. He rebuilt/upgraded these things, and they are beautifully done, as well as sounding incredible. Really nice guy too, as others have said here.)

The JBL manual gives as an option putting a Y inline if your pre-out is only a single RCA jack, so I don't see how it could harm anything to Y the connection on both ends, as stated previously it is mono.

I have a large volume room with hardwood floors, which makes my sound a bit on the bright/thin side with some recordings. I am just wanting to tinker with the sub to see if it makes the bass deeper without being too muddy/booming, and I didn't want to dump a fortune into cables (it's about a 10-12ft. run from my rack to the sub) just to find out that it was not much better.

Thanks for the feedback so far.