Pre-amp to receiver?

If I play a CD , and connect  a  Denon  CD player OUT to Dynaco PAT 5 preamp IN , and then the preamp OUT  to a CD IN of an Optimus STAV 3000 receiver( which has no connector in back to separate the receiver's preamp and amp) I  seem to be able to use both the Dynaco tone controls and also the Optimus tone controls to effect sound through speakers.

The questions are two...1) since the Optimus has its own quality of preamp, which of course does not rise to level of Dynaco PAS 5,  will this mean that no matter what quality signal the Dynaco is inputting into the Optimus receiver CD input, that signal will  degraded to however  the Optimus receiver preamp would handle a direct CD IN signal without the Dynaco, or will it be improved  isomewhat due to an added emphacis on some frequencies or the ability to discern those frequencies or whatever by the Dynaco?

2) if the above is audio anathema,  as i suspect, is there a correct way to bypass the receiver's preamp (with a receiver that does not have the two small metal connectors in the back to disengage its  preamp from amp) and insert the Dynaco 5 as the tone controls?

I googled this question but the net seemed to provide confusing or inadequate response.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and/or respond..

saitta22
reubent,

sorry to belabor this....thanks for hanging in there.

if you google images for the dynaco pat 5 and look at the back panel, you will see speaker terminals labeled "amplifier" (also two sets of terminals labeled speaker which i assume  connect to the speakers themselves)...I assume that the speaker wires from the Optimus receiver( or an Amp) are attached  the Amp terminals on the Dynaco Pat 5...what else would it be for?
i have the same situation with my McIntosh  C 26   where the connection from an Amp to the Mac  is by speaker wire...I guess the MaC or dynaco Preamp connects between source and amp to massage the  source signal  and then the output of the amp connects to the Dynaco  via the Dynaco AMP speaker terminals by speaker wire. I always thought this was bizarre---i thought it would be by some type of RCA plug.

The speakers themselves are connected to the speaker out terminals on the Dynaco preamp.

I saw a listing for rectilinear III high recently for under $100...any opinion?

... your kindness transcends audio...
saitta22,

OK, I've googled an image of the back of the Dynaco PAT 5. I see what you are saying. I will say that I have never seen a pre-amp with speaker binding posts, so that is what threw me off. I don't understand the whole point of having speaker level inputs and outputs on a pre-amp, so I'm going to gracefully bow out of the conversations sine I have no idea how the PAT 5 works.

I'm not familiar with the Rectilinear III speaker. I did google it and the guys over at AudioKarma.org forum seemed to like them. BTW, regarding anything vintage audio, I would recommend that you check out AudioKarma. Lots of vintage audio guys over there. They have a dedicated Infinity forum that I frequent.

Good luck in your audio journey........

Rectilinear III are easily 40 - 50 year old speakers.  Did you want that kind of a restoration project?

They were well regarded speakers.  Rectilinear was located in downtown Brooklyn, before they moved up to the Bronx.   

Rich