Upgrade from DV 17D3, looking for recommendations!

I recently purchased a VPI classic and moved my 17d3 onto it. Pushing through a Luxman SUT, Fosgate Signature Phono, and 12w Luxman SQ-N10 wi DH Labs Air Matrix and Revelation ICs gives me an almost ideal sound. I get immense detail without being bright or fatiguing. The mids are as real as can be, and I don’t get the midbass scoop that many systems hit. I just want a little more on the bottom end. It's not that it's not there... The bass is super tight, and it's pleasant to make out the qualities in it. I just want more presence from it. Maybe I might be pushing too low an output through a high efficiency system?

People in other threads have mentioned the XX-2, the Delos, and some options from Benz. Is the XX-2 really colder than the 17d3? Is the Delos bright as well?

Not limiting to the cartridges listed, what would get me closest to what I am looking for?

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xblisshifi
@tablejockey Forget what I said about the VTA. Turns out that one of my adjustment screws was in too far and wasn't allowing the path to descend further. I got it now.
Thiefoflight-
My final setup: referencing the BACK of the cart, perpendicular to the headshell, the angle in relation to the record surface is a slightly LESS than 90 degrees,so the cart is tipped up. VTF@ 1.8 grams.
We both use the Foz, I don't hear a difference switching the load knob while playing a record,so I just leave it at 100 ohms. 

I used a Feifkert gauge and Baerwald, not the VPI jig which is their own measurement. YMMV, but I actually can't hear a difference, though on paper both aren't "perfect."  Figured I should at least use another one of my seemingly waste of money audio gadgets.

Right out of the box, I found the ART 9 amazing. Happy listening!

So initial impressions are all positive, but still going to wait for some magic to happen over the next week or two. I've got about 12 hours of break in with the cartridge in the last two days and bass response is improved with the ART 9 for sure. I am much happier and think you guys have solved my dilemma.

@tablejockey I can see what you and the rest of the ART 9 thread have meant by the cartridge being so cohesive. The frequencies are are all there, and none of them really jump out at you more than the rest.

Comparing to some other cartridges:

Dynavector 17d3
17d3 may be brighter, but I feel it is more pronounced in detail still without being fatiguing. The midrange of the ART 9 is very present, but the 17d3 jumps out more. This may be the boost that people talk about with the 17d3.

Shelter 501 MK2
Right now, the ART 9 is tonally closer to the Shelter, but as the Shelter is much more like a warm apple pie, the ART 9 is a bit more detailed all the way through the frequency spectrum. The Shelter also feels more forward in the bass and midbass.

Ortofon 2M Black
The black just has way more bass response, but at the expense of a muddier midbass and treble despite sharper sounds in the upper registers.

So with this said, I feel like the ART 9 is a wonderfully even cartridge all the way through, though I wish some part of me did wish it had more personality that just jumped out. It is very musical, but it just feels a bit polite right now without lacking any bass or detail.  I guess this personality is the magic I am hoping for through the break in process.

As it does break in, I'll move my findings over to the other ART 9 thread.

Thanks again!
Be sure to use a wide variety of LPs across genres, thicknesses, reissues/originals etc. when you listen critically. It's easy to get caught up in 1 track A/B comparisons, but if you pick a track that doesn't have every instrument and voice in the world then perhaps a different LP might shine additional light on your thinking ;-)

Also, curious to get a better understand of the warm apple pie analogy. Is it too warm, sweet, tart, thick? I think my Colibri was too lemony, and my Signet is like pecan with just a dab of whipped cream; a little sweet, with lots of texture and a solid foundation. Cheers,
Spencer
Spencer - good advice all around. I have a set of different LPs across genres when I do this, from jazz, rock, modern composition, indie, electro, etc. 

I love the response regarding the warm apple pie. The Shelter is definitely the warmest and thickest of the cartridges I own, and while there is upper frequency detail there, it's missing the attack and forwardness that I have with some other cartridges. Maybe it's like a salted caramel apple pie that has a nice bite at the very top. :)