Absolute Sound - do we really need another review like this?

I own the OPPPO 105 player purchased 3 years ago and still very satisfied with it.
There are TONS and TONS of glowing reviews of this unit and apparently oppo is working on a replacement model.

In this current February 2017 issue of Absolute Sound, there is yet another review (a brief one) on this unit.

Kind of long in the tooth and totally futile. Sounds like the following Scenario:

oppo: hi stereophile, look, we are still a few months away from putting out the 105 replacement, could you run something just so that we can keep the flame alive before the new model come out?

Sorry but that went trough my head reading this review of the still-stellar and reviewed to death Oppo 105.

Cheers all !

soniqmike
Life is all about choices. 
If you don"t like a magazine - don't subscribe to it.
If you don't like the subject of an article - don't read it.
This hobby is fun - don't let anybody or anything ruin that for you. 
The only reviewer to trust is your ears and your brain.
Never forget - it's all about the music not the equipment - the equipment is only a means by which we listen to music.
A wise person spends more on music than he does equipment.

It does amaze me that, in a hobby like this with so many obsessives and sticklers for details upon details, publications like Stereophile and TAS continue to exist.  It's not like there is a continuous wave of new people coming in to the hobby that need a basic intro (maybe this is the fantasy that keeps the advertising dollars flowing). I mean, c'mon, at least show me a picture of the back of the speakers and tell me where they are manufactured!  I'VE SWORN OFF all but HIFI+ and The Audiophile Voice.  HIFI+ because of the production quality (paper and ink) more than anything else, and TAV because of its refreshing quirkiness.
I see your point. However such reviews are not completely useless (at least to me). When I research a product I put a little more weight on the most recent reviews. This makes sense to me even for products that have been on the market for a few years. In the case of the Oppo 105, there are surely newer players on the market. If the reviewer feels that the 105 still rates high against this backdrop, surely that is useful information.
Yes, the 105 is DISCONTINUED as in no longer available...again, why this review....Tell is instead about the upcoming replacement model !

Still, the 105 remains a superb, no-brainer choice.
It is all about advertising dollars- soniqmike.

Oppo is okay, at best. Happy Listening!