Cartridge for Rega Planar 3?

MM or high output MC.  Up to $1000. 

What recommendations can anyone make from personal experience?  Needs to be an all around good performer, as it will be used for most all musical genres.  Thanks!
mtrot
That makes a difference.  It sounded like you had the Rega already and that trying to get the best cartridge was the goal.

TT and cartridge selection seems to require a lot more knowledge these days.  Almost too much information to take in and then use.   

Have you considered buying a package such as the Project Classic?

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Classic-Turntable_2?sc=2&category=352

I am taking delivery on one today and will report back at some point.  I wanted something that was clearly the next step or two up from an entry level TT and I wanted less fuss.  It is a departure from my fascination with direct drive TTs.  

I have a Mani in one system (with a Prima Luna PL5 and Musical Fidelity CD Pre 24).  It was a no-brainer purchase at $130.  The ADCOM GTP II preamp from 25 years ago was not cutting it (yet it seemed to do the trick 25 years earlier).  The other amp in the other system (Rega Brio) has a built in phono section.  Arriving at the right cartridge, or almost right cartridge, is a chore at times.  Price is certainly not a good guide.  Once you reach a certain price point ($250 or so), you move out of MM land and into the daunting world of MC cartridges.  

Rich   
Greg makes a valid point, but if the Denon DL103 is a little low on the output side, consider the Denon DL110 - another top performer. Should be a great match for the Mani, but you will need to add a spacer to increase the mass to be compatible with the Rega arms.

Read the reviews at http://www.needledoctor.com/Denon-DL-110-Cartridge?sc=2&category=369

In the past I’ve tried a couple of Nagoka’s, but despite their Very clean, extremely detailed and well behaved performance, they were not quite as warm and as well balanced as the Denon’s.. Perhaps compliance was the issue?

The Goldring was an OK performer, but lacked the dynamics of the Denon 103.

The Rega Elys was just an all round disappointment - lacked details, clarity and dynamics. Perhaps the phono stage was the problem? Maybe, but the other carts fared much better. It should have been excellent, not mediocre.

The Grado I had was returned because the hum increased as the cartridge got closer to the motor on the Rega. It was a very nice cart, but has poor shielding - if any - such a shame.

I must admit I have a bias towards Denon, but that’s because they are so easy to setup and they are very forgiving when it comes to less than perfect setup. They are also top performers if you get setup spot on. And they can be tweaked to a level of excellence reserved for carts costing much much more

As far as turntables - I own(ed) a Rega and have spent 30 years tweaking and upgrading to get it to where I am happy - if I had my time over I’d look at a VPI. But there are some stellar performers from Music hall and Project.

Here are my tweaks - http://image99.net/blog/files/category-turntable-mod0027s.html

Try to get a turntable that has the drive belt that goes around the edge of the platter - it puts far less stress on the drive belt and gets the platter up to speed much quicker. Having the drive belt driving a subplatter, like the Rega, requires the operator to perform the "Rega Nudge" to reduce startup time.

Also - the glass platter on the Rega looks cool and keeps wow/flutter to a minimum - and that’s all it’s good for. you will spend time and money trying to get the perfect mat, or end up replacing it with an acrylic platter for best results

Hope that helps
After 2 month of neurotic uncertainty , I recently went for the Planar3 with a dynavector10x5 and dynavector phono preamp  I can't imagine you would be disappointed with the result  
For me and various friends audio nirvana .  Good luck with your final choice
I have a (more than a little upgraded) Rp3. Not much different than the planar. With a 3mm shim, I'm running an ortofon 2m black.  I haven't heard a better match for the 3 range Regas. MM or MC. 
The compliance issue is importatant with the rega arm as it's not high enough mass for the 103's imo.
As to recievers and  integrateds, so much depends on the quality of the phono section. Maybe the most cost effective way to get the most bang would be to go with a moderately price phono pre into line level input.  G Slee two, perhaps? 
With a 2m black you could squeak in around 1k.  Look on eBay for discounted 2m's
Btw. The Herbies mat on the stock platter is killer.  No need for acrylic which can have its own coloration. 
And do give it that rega nudge. Belt will last much  longer.