Yamaha GT 2000 Turntable

Hello there ! Looking for any Yamaha GT 2000 owners / ex owners out there to share their experience and opinions regarding this turntable ..
blz_tone
Thanks Lewm for your detailed account — almost a John Le Carre tale tracing lost chips in the exotic East. And thanks so much for offering a new chip — I doubt it will be necessary if I do the recap — that seems to be the consensus.

I'll admit, I was hoping for "easier" news. I'll be doing the recap (and the new transistors) myself, and it's a lot of time and work. I'm not a tech but I have the basic skills I think are required and if I'm careful it should be okay... I think... fingers crossed...

Thank you all riding to the aid of a fellow audiophile. That's why this forum is so great.

Much appreciation,
Bima
Bima,

Yes I'd say a recap and replacement of the most of the old transistors  would be essential as well as readjusting the circuit once its been fixed. If your somewhat handy you could do this yourself, but it requires some knowledge and the proper tools.  

Don't know where you are but I might be able to help with it for a nominal fee.

Good Listening

Peter
Thanks Peter. I'm okay with all the work, up "readjusting the circuit" — the only knowledge I have is to know my limitations, and my only electronic tool is a multimeter.

So I'll be taking you up on your kind offer. But it won't be right away; a lot of work to do first.

Thanks again,
Bima

PS — I'm in LA, and you're El Cajon?
Damned autocorrect: In my last post, the last sentence, "(If it was never done, those lyrics are now ~36 years old, definitely hot reliable.) Consider it preventive maintenance, and if you do need a new chip, I can get you one." I typed "lytics", as in electrolytic capacitors, not lyrics.  And "not reliable", not "hot reliable". Can't blame autocorrect for that.

Peter, I am very surprised to learn that you want to use the Roadrunner with your revised and modified DP80, unless you are just using it to monitor speed with a digital readout. The Denon itself monitors speed constantly by means of the continuous tape around the inside of the platter. From what I know, which is probably less than you, this affords constant speed correction via altering voltage and current to the 3-phase motor of the DP80, whereas the RR only "looks" at speed once per revolution.

That said, I am now using the 25W Phoenix power regenerator to run my Lenco monitored and controlled by the RR. It’s fun to know that the platter is running at 33.3333 rpm or thereabouts. I was previously using a Walker Audio Motor Controller on the Lenco; the Phoenix ensemble seems to do the job a bit better. Not a night and day difference, but better.
Lew,
I only will use the RoadRunner for a readout in place of the strobe light, I will of curse leave the original control system in place.

You mention that the RoarRunner only looks at the RPM once a revolution and while this is correct if there was any deviation what so ever it would not read out 33.333 which is typically does on these fine machines. The Strobe light on the DP80 is hard to retrofit into the plinths as the platter is fairly thick which requires the mirror be sunk deeper into the plinth for sufficient readability.

In rebuilding the DN308 tables which does not have a strobe i wanted a way of displaying the RPM and the Roadrunner its easily customized into the plinth, which in case of the DN308 will be a 1" thick Aluminum plate top and bottom sandwiching a hardwood frame. This lead to wanting to do a "professional" version of the DP80. Below a little sneak peak :-)

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/6431

Good Listening

Peter