Are USB-SPDIF's relevant with today's DAC USB technology?

I'm using a PS Audio Digital Link 3 DAC connected with a M2Tech HiFace 2 from my PC.
I could try to squeeze more out of the DL3 by getting a higher end converter, like an Audiophilleo with PurePower.

I would eventually upgrade the DAC to a more current model, such as a NuWave DSD or alternative in the price range.

The question is how important are good USB-SPDIF's converters in todays market?
Would the Audiophilleo serve me well in the future with newer DAC's, or am I wasting money and better off just getting a NuWave DSD and connect with USB directly?

Thanks!

itsikhefez
For that kind of money, I would consider a Schiit Dac. They have many models, all of which would out perform your PS DAC or Audiophillo.
My 2 cents
Bob
I agree that upgrading beyond the HiFace for a PS DLIII is probably not a wise investment. I used this combination in the past. Then went to a Bryston BDA-1 with Audiophilleo 2 W/Pure Power.  That was 4 years ago and I still use it today.  Recently I purchased a used Wyred4Sound DAC2. I haven't had a chance to do a critical compare against the BDA-1 A2PP combo. I suspect they will sound different, however one may not be declared better across the board.

I do believe converters have a place when paired for computer purpose with many of the older hi end DACs known for having solid power supplies and output stages. Buying a new DAC today, to include use with computer audio, I would look for one having quality USB implementation built in.  
USB is the worst thing you can use.  USB is for printers and mice - NOT music!  Get a good sound card.  
cerrot
USB is the worst thing you can use.  USB is for printers and mice - NOT music!
Would you please explain why you feel USB is inferior for audio? Isn't one of its advantages the ability to handle DSD?

Here's my experience with USB...
- started with the Schiit Bofrost with the onboard USB port
- I upgraded to the next gen USB port - which made some SQ improvements
- I then installed the Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 converter - significant SQ improvement.
-  I also tried various USB cables but found the Doukmall dual lead to perform the best
- I also tried a few power supplies and found the Enercell USB power supply the best/priced - but there are better linear supplies out there

The main issues I believe is whether the DAC utilizes the power from the USB port (via the USB cable).The Bifrost and Gungnir does, (they share the same USB upgrade),  which I believe to be their achilies heel.
- if it does -  you will experience inferior sound quality
- if it does not - then you just need a reasonable quality USB cable in order to achieve very good sound quality
- or you can bypass the USB interface with something like the V-link192, like I did

My current streaming device is the Bluesound Node2 and PowerNode2(in my AV system). Works via Ethernet and is a significant improvement over the USB approach.

The Bluesound devices are easy to setup/use, less complicated to maintain from a software upgrade perspective and provide very good sound quality.

Gone are the days when the "player" does not work because of a Apple or Windows software upgrade (so far at least).

Don't get me wrong - there are Computer driven systems with DAC's out there capable of great fidelity.

There are also other streaming devices similar in nature to the Bluesound

But for me, the Bluesound was within budget and from a SQ perspective - the icing on my cake :-)

Cheers