Yamaha GT 2000 Turntable

Hello there ! Looking for any Yamaha GT 2000 owners / ex owners out there to share their experience and opinions regarding this turntable ..
blz_tone
bimasta,  My DP80 was not working quite up to snuff when I bought it.  So first of all, I assumed that the single chip that runs the turntable was not working normally, and I WAS able to find it from any of several vendors in the Far East.  In fact, it was easy to do that, and I have several such chips myself.  Then I gave the turntable and the replacement chip to Bill Thalmann at Music Technologies in Springfield, VA.  Bill found no problem with the chip in the turntable, but he did replace all the electrolytic capacitors and all the discrete transistors.  The transistors were not blown, but Bill felt that the modern replacements for them are much better and make the DP80 run better.  He was then able to calibrate it, and I have had zero problems ever since then, about 4 years. I urge you to have all the electrolytic capacitors replaced, ideally before you try to run the turntable, especially if you don't know when that was ever done in the past.  (If it was never done, those lyrics are now ~36 years old, definitely hot reliable.) Consider it preventive maintenance, and if you do need a new chip, I can get you one.

Thanks Totem — I'm not a tech either.

Anyone, please correct me when I'm wrong, that's why I'm here: to learn. I've used Variacs on older less sophisticated all-tube circuits — that seems to be okay. I know newer SS gear has voltage regulators, relays, etc, that might make the Variac ineffective — but I was under the impression it was not HARMFUL, merely ineffective.

Am I wrong?
I've seen your site before, Peter. Incredible work! My ambition at this point is far more humble — just to use this marvelous turntable again, and be sure it's not damaged. It's very reassuring when you say "I have never had one with a "chip" out."

But you also have a caveat:  "Once recapped they perform excellent."

So, like Lewm, you're saying recapping is essential?

Again, please correct my errors.
Thanks Lewm for your detailed account — almost a John Le Carre tale tracing lost chips in the exotic East. And thanks so much for offering a new chip — I doubt it will be necessary if I do the recap — that seems to be the consensus.

I'll admit, I was hoping for "easier" news. I'll be doing the recap (and the new transistors) myself, and it's a lot of time and work. I'm not a tech but I have the basic skills I think are required and if I'm careful it should be okay... I think... fingers crossed...

Thank you all riding to the aid of a fellow audiophile. That's why this forum is so great.

Much appreciation,
Bima
Bima,

Yes I'd say a recap and replacement of the most of the old transistors  would be essential as well as readjusting the circuit once its been fixed. If your somewhat handy you could do this yourself, but it requires some knowledge and the proper tools.  

Don't know where you are but I might be able to help with it for a nominal fee.

Good Listening

Peter