Scan Speak Tweeters OK?

I have an older pair of two and a half-way speakers made by the Danish company Avance.  All of the speaker components are Scan Speak.  Sometimes I feel that the soft dome (referred to as coated textile) tweeters are not putting out enough sound.  When I listen close to them it is clear the tweeters are working, both having the same output. 

With tweeters, if they are working at all, are they are working as designed?  Or can the tweeters be damaged, and although they are putting out sound, they are not putting out full volume as when new?

I believe that Madison Sound would have an equal valued replacement.

Thanks in advance,

George

jetter
Hi Jetter,

Yes, you can replace parts when identical. :)  However, SS tweets are pretty reliable, and you don't seem to be suffering from blown tweets.

It’s quite possible too you don’t have too little treble but too much bass. The 2’ test will show you what your speakers are capable at their best, tonally and perhaps imaging.

Best,

E
HI George, Have you had these Long? meaning, have you noticed the hi frequencies decreasing or are they fairly newly acquired and you are wondering if they are a bit shy on high end... So, Yes, tweeters can go bad, but it is rare... pull out the tweeter and check the model number. You may be able to replace the diaphragms rather than buying new tweeters. Next, if nothing is wrong with the tweeter, you may try to get the crossover schematic.  A simple change of a resistor or two may solve everything.
Tim
Here's a question, did you start noticing issues after you replaced the 7" mid woofer "a short while ago"? Or had it been happening prior to the replacement?
timlub and jond, I have had the speakers for at least 10 years.  I did not always think that the soft dome tweeters were too laid back.  It was really only after several of the mid woofer drivers stopped working for a still unknown reason and they were replaced under warranty.  But I didn't wake up one morning and think there is not enough highs, just sort of an awareness over time.

I am not ruling out that better positioning may reduce what may be a preponderance of base. 

At this point I may try purchasing identical replacement tweeters if they are available at Madison Sound as I believe they will be realistically priced, and if this doesn't cut it, have poly caps or resistors changed by my electronics guru.
George