Cartridge for Rega Planar 3?

MM or high output MC.  Up to $1000. 

What recommendations can anyone make from personal experience?  Needs to be an all around good performer, as it will be used for most all musical genres.  Thanks!
mtrot
Goldring Eroica high-output MC.  Good sound, under a grand, works well in the Rega arm and I don't believe you will have to shim.  I think. 
Not sure why you would spend $1k for a cartridge for a $1k turntable that you will be plugging into a receiver.  

I have no experience with the Planar 3.  

Rich 

@rar1

Not sure why the snarky comment, or how it helps anything. 

If you read my post, I wrote UP TO $1000.  I didn't say $1000. 

Also, are you saying that when using a receiver one cannot tell the difference between a $200 cartridge and a $800 cartridge?  I find that ridiculous.  I have not run a turntable in maybe 15 years, but in the past I enjoyed great sound with a turntable connected to a receiver.
Not being snarky, I was just trying to understand the logic.  If you look at some of the turntable packages out there (Pro-ject for example), their $800 or so turntables will come with a $200 or so cartridge.  

Without knowing your receiver, it will most likely handle a MM type cartridge, but only a high-output MC type cartridge.  So, at the mid to upper range of your cartridge budget, you may need to consider an outboard phono preamp to get the most out of your purchase.

So yes, you may not be able to tell the difference or possibly, the more expensive cartridge will not sound much better or you may need to crank your receiver up to a volume level where it maxes out.   

On the surface, it seemed to me like you may wind up with a mismatch and orpheus' comments seemed to be the most on point.

Like yourself. I am back using a turntable after 20 years.  It has not been a straightforward experience.  Certainly not plug n play and enjoy.  So,  you may get the best cartridge for the Rega arm, but you will be limited by the rest of your components.  

Ergo my questions.

Interesting enough, with all my noodling with turntables over the last 2 or 3 years, I have come to appreciate more what CDs add to the mix.

I wish I had experience with the Rega or knew your other components to add a useful recommendation.  Personally, the Denon DL 103 is the one I would look at closely.  Also, at $50, the Shure SC35C that Herb Reichert reviewed in Stereophile is a blast to use and the one that my ears seem to like.  I included a link to Herb's review of the Planar 3, he liked the Rega Exact at $600.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-14-rega-planar-3#UmduaApH03MXfF1G.97

http://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-3-shure-sc35c#IRdredCJIMf7BVhD.97

Rich