Technics SL1200: standard overhang gauge or MintLP

Hello Guys,

Some days ago I started a thread asking the difference from the cartridge setup on a Technics SL1200 with the stock white gauge and the Baerwald points by other Tractors
Well , as I told to Tvad I bought the MintLP Best Tractor and I tried the new overhang position.
Pratically is about 2.5/3.00 mm forward respect the standard white plastic gauge point so theorically the arm is longer with MintLP setup
I'm listening this new setup and I have to say Tvad was right when he said the sonic result is much better with the MintLP setup
Not only there is much less distortion like Tvad wrote .. but there is a large improvment in soundstage more wide depth and heigh more focus
As quality of sound I'm noticeing better bass quantity just tuneful and splendid heights super fine
I strongly suggest Technics SL12xx owners to buy that MintLP Best Tractor and to reset the cartidge position if done with the standard white gauge

Thanks Tvad for your suggestion

Best wishes to EveryOne

Curio
128x128curio
Curio, what type of music were you listening to when you heard the lower distortion?  I found the standard Technics alignment to be the best for classical LPs where lowest distortion at the end of the LP is desirable.  It is also easiest way to get the correct offset angle since you only have to square up the cart in the headshell.  To each his own I guess....
@rotarius You are assuming that the cantilever and cartridge body are both straight and parallel. Many carts have different shaped bodies and many carts, especially if you buy used, have cantilevers that aren't parallel. Only a mirrored surface that lets you view the cantilever instead of just the body will allow you to properly adjust the cart to any grid lines. 

I have a Technics alignment gauge and using it doesn't give anywhere near a high level of precision. Yeah, it's the easiest to use, but results are weak. Cheers,
Spencer
@sbank, you don't need a cart to be rectangular or have parallel sides, all you need is symmetrical sides and a measuring tool like calipers.  I do agree, the cantilever needs to be in line with the cart axis.  Eyeballing with lines on a mirror is less precise, at least with eyes.  I have held on to a technics DD for years (along with others), always liked the Technics alignment (similar to Stevenson) for classical.   
rotarius
@sbank, you don’t need a cart to be rectangular or have parallel sides, all you need is symmetrical sides and a measuring tool like calipers. I do agree, the cantilever needs to be in line with the cart axis. Eyeballing with lines on a mirror is less precise, at least with eyes
Calipers? I don’t think that’s a good tool for phono cartridge alignment. @sbank I agree with you - nothing is better than a good mirrored alignment gauge. I like the WallyTractor, but there are others as well. A WallyTractor aligns the cantilever - not the phono cartridge body. So if the cantilever itself is a bit out of alignment - and many are - you’ll still get good results. Using the reflection in the mirror also has the benefit of magnifying the amount of alignment error, simplifying the process. A magnifying loupe can also be used.
If you need to square up a cart in a headshell why would you not use the precision of digital calipers to measure distance of each side of a cart to the headshell edge?  I am an engineer, I like to confirm with actual measurements rather than eyeing something!