Comparing these CD players with my gear...

Hi folks, 

I'm always messing around with CD players. A longtime audio friend of mine says I have a CD fetish... well, he's probably right. In a medium that is slowly dying, I'm still spinning discs more than ever. I stream too, but there still something awesome about taking a CD or LP and placing it in/onto a machine to play the sweet music we all love. 

Anyway, in my latest jaunt for something new, I've put together my latest list of players that have caught my eye for one reason of another. My gear consists of a Creek 4330SE integrated amp and Vandersteen 2C speakers. Cables are DH Labs Q-10's and Air Matrix interconnects. 

So what are your thoughts/impressions/comments on the synergies of the following CD players and how they would sound with my gear. I'm most curious about the Naim, Cambridge Audio and Myryad. 

Naim CD3.5
Cambridge Audio 840c
Myryad MCD600
Cal Audio Labs Icon mkII Power Boss
Marantz CD6006 (or CD6005)
Rotel RCD-1072

jsbach1685

"Looking at the dac converter chips, and transports/lasers, for Redbook cd replay.

I'd go for the CAL Icon, it's got a very good Burr Brown PCM1702 Multibit chip, and the HDCD PMD100 filter chip."

Why not look at the analog section of the dac as well? It accounts for half of the component and has just as big of an effect on SQ as the digital half. Also, listing individual parts like the dac chip and filter shouldn't be relied on too heavily. The overall design is far more important. There's plenty of CD players that share the same parts, but sound completely different. 

Hi Mgreen27,
Your comments/observations are true. Placing emphasis on the particular digital chip is short sighted. 10 CD players or DACs could use identical chip sets and sound completely different from each other . I’d pay more attention to the "quality" of the analog output stage and the power supply. These 2 factors in my experience are more influential and impactful in the overall sound quality.
Charles
@charles1dad   +1   You are right on it.  The power supply and analog output stage is where it's really at as regards quality digital sound reproduction.  Modwright Instruments Inc. places the emphasis of their modifications right there.  The only enhancements to the DAC side of the player is enhancing the power supply to the DAC.  The results speak for themselves.