Looking to build a system for under $5k

Hello,

I am brand new to audio and looking to put a system together for around/under $5k all in. Any recommendations?

This would be mainly for CD audio but expandable for phono in the future. I have a small bedroom that I am dedicating as a music room upstairs in a cape cod style home. So it has angled walls that follow the roof line.

Looking for components that offer the biggest bang for the buck. I've done some research over the last couple of months and it seems like the Vandersteen 1Ci might be a good cornerstone to design a system around.

Thanks,

Joe

128x128audionoobie
What I tell beginners looking for speakers is, to look for efficient ones. In other words- speakers that are easy to drive, as this greatly increases the choice of amplifiers that can be used.
Good luck and have fun buying your new system,Tish
Racamuti,
Good and wise advice. There terrific low and moderate power amplifiers available  that truly  thrive with this type of speaker. 
Charles 
Here's a good speaker match for your small size room. It is also a component you can hang on to for years to come and upgrade around.
It is a little more then you probably want to spend but I think there is some price negotiation to be had here, since I feel the asking price is a little high. They have a sensitivity of 92dB, and a Impedance of 8 ohms, . That's much higher then almost all stand mounts and will match with the single ended and low power push pull amps mentioned above, although I would consider a Primaluna Prologue Premium integrated.  I have listed a link to one for sale, where I think there is some room for negotiation.  Down the road you can upgrade the sound quality of the PL with upgrades in tubes / fuses and a PC. It's obvious that you would have to spend probably another 1K above your budget, but since these components are available used, your getting a lot of value and sound quality for your money.  Both the speaker and integrated are very well built.  The Primaluna is all point to point wiring, ececpt for a board or two for auto bias and protection circuits.
There are many reviews on both the components listed below; I would highly encourage you to read them.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-reference-3a-mm-de-capo-i-beryllium-2017-01-22-speakers-3...
Note: you can get spikes for the Sound Anchor Stands through Sound Anchor (husband and wife team)
Note: They employ beryllium tweeters.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649291245-prologue-premium-integrated-amplifier-dealer-demo-unit/

As far as sources, the Marantz and Oppo players outlined in above post would be very good choices for around 1k

Reference 3A MM Decapo BE (with sound Anchor Stands) = $2,400.00

Primaluna Prologue Premium Integrated = $1,850.00

Clearday silver biwire cables (new) = $350.00

Reasonably good interconnect on used market used =  $300.00

New Marantz SA 8004/8005  or New Oppo 105  Multi CD player = approx. $1,100.00

Total $6,000.00

Not trying to debate @douglas_schroeder audio show recommendation, as that is indeed a great opportunity to get  firsthand experience with a lot of different systems and approaches. However, with a few notable exceptions, I've heard/seen very little that can be had for a lower budget: Van Alstine components (paired with $9K Salk speakers), Odyssey Audio, and Fritz speakers come to mind. That was pretty much it. At the last show I attended, there weren't any other speakers on hand for around $2K or less besides Fritz ... none that I can think of right now. So besides the aforementioned companies, what shows are out there that feature lower priced quality audio products?

It appears that the average audio show system price is easily north of $20-$25K, with some in the $100's of thousands. My system was put together from online research, studying, and auditioning gear in my own home. There was a fair amount of trial and error, shipping back and forth, buying and re-selling (used gear ... sometimes for a loss); but eventually I got there. My recommendations represent a kind of "if I knew then what I know now" approach.

So, what's the point? I almost dreaded going to that first audio show. Actually I was worried that - given the somewhat addictive nature of this hobby - I might leave and feel like taking out a 2nd mortgage once I got home. My actual experience was the opposite of what I expected. Maybe it's just me, but a lot of what I heard at those shows (and from some very high-end, high dollar systems) sounded like exceptional "hi-fi". Very little sounded like music. Following a few such experiences, I became more satisfied with my own rig. Go figure.

Note: I too, will not comment further the merits of audio shows. This is just an account of my personal experience. If someone else wants to weigh in, great ... but that's it for me.  

"Note: I too, will not comment further the merits of audio shows. This is just an account of my personal experience. If someone else wants to weigh in, great ... but that's it for me.   "

I understand what you're saying, but you can still get a lot out of a show regardless. First, you can never listen to too much gear, especially if you're new. That's good listening experience, and you'll use it moving forward. Second, most companies offer a range of components at different price points. For example, if you're really impressed with a 5k speaker you hear at a show, there's a good chance the company will offer less expensive models that you can demo at a dealer.