Looking to build a system for under $5k

Hello,

I am brand new to audio and looking to put a system together for around/under $5k all in. Any recommendations?

This would be mainly for CD audio but expandable for phono in the future. I have a small bedroom that I am dedicating as a music room upstairs in a cape cod style home. So it has angled walls that follow the roof line.

Looking for components that offer the biggest bang for the buck. I've done some research over the last couple of months and it seems like the Vandersteen 1Ci might be a good cornerstone to design a system around.

Thanks,

Joe

128x128audionoobie
Because of the type of music you say you like to listen to, I thought I'd recommend something that is well suited to it, and offer something a little different from what others have suggested. It's hard to beat the Oppo for digital in its price range. But to my ear jazz and fusion are at their best when being played through at least a few tubes. An all tube system might be more than you want to deal with, but the Pathos Twin Tower is a hybrid amp using only a pair of 12AX7s in the driver stage; they're easy to find, affordable, and nothing really happens to them. It's also built like a tank (65lbs) and it looks great too (high WAF). But most importantly, it's a stunningly good sounding amp. Because it puts out 30 watts a side, it's best to pair it with a speaker with a high sensitivity rating. The Vandies should work, but in case you'd like another option, so will the Tekton Pendragon: http://hometheaterreview.com/tekton-design-pendragon-floorstanding-loudspeaker-reviewed/

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-tekton-design-pendragon-speakers-2017-01-06-speakers-75...

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-pathos-acoustics-twin-towers-rr-integrated-amp-w-remot...

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/blu-ray-oppo-digital-bdp-105-blu-ray-player-w-wi-fi-2016-12-30-hom...

"There seems to be a consensus here regarding integrated. Perhaps I had mistakenly assumed that a separate amp and pre would be preferable.

What at was the line of thinking here? Cost prohibitive given budget?"

It's never that simple. People give different answers for completely different reasons. Unless you know the person who is giving you a recommendation, you really don't know why. Most of the time a recommendation is given by someone based on their own personal experience. "I like it, therefore you will too.", is the logic behind it. Its usually an honest approach, but it may not be worth much due to lack of experience with other types of gear, or just tastes that don't match up with yours. Another person may have some type of ax to grind. You see this a lot with cables. People that have strong views against cables in some way either got burned, made some poor choices, has it in their head that cables can't make a difference, the review said xyz, and any other number of negative reasons. The problem with this type of person is that their view may, or may not be realistic. Since were talking about cables, its probably a good time to deal with the term Snake Oil. Its a relative term that's used most of the time to classify cables. If someone tries a cable, or any other audio product, and it doesn't live up to expectations, they label it snake oil. At first that seems reasonable and they may be right, but the real question you need to ask is, "is that person qualified to label something snake oil?". That's a real problem, because if doesn't know what they are doing, it may not be fair to call it snake oil. Give the same exact product to someone else and they may get great results with it. Is it fair to label it snake oil fair? Anyway, since you're looking for advice, here's my take on cables. There's no question whatsoever that cables sound different and can make a difference. That said, its not a beginners task to start picking through different speaker cables and IC's. Your listening skills build over time and you shouldn't buy expensive cables without having the skills to verify their worth. You can walk into any Best Buy and get some entry level AudioQuest cables that don't cost a lot of money, but work very well. You get cables like that to start with. If you buy expensive cables because a review, or anyone else just told you to, that's foolish. If they don't make a difference, you've got no one but yourself to blame.

If you'll notice up to this point, I haven't made any specific recommendations on equipment. The reason for that is I don't have any idea as to what you like, or don't like. You can have 2 very good components sound very different from each other. In a situation like that, it comes down to personal preference. I don't know you well enough to make any specific recommendations except for 1. You brought up Vandersteen 1's, and I talked a little about them in my last post. That's a good speaker to start with. The reason is that Vandersteen makes very transparent speakers. What I mean by that is they impose very little sound of their own on the music. A transparent speaker makes it very easy to hear what the other components in the system are contributing to the overall sound. That's why its such a safe pick. If you don't like the sound of your system, you'll almost never have to get rid of the speakers. You just change the offending component(s). The Model 1's are also very easy to drive and they're time and phase correct.

Hello Joe,
You’ve received some very good recommendations and you can’t go wrong with either Vandersteen or Oppo. Given your room size and musical taste I would offer the following combination as a option.
1 Marantz SA 8004/8005 CD player, Well engineered (good power supply and analog output stage) very solidly built chassis and high quality sound. 1200K new.
2 Tekton Lore speaker, higher sensitivity and 8 ohm load (easy to drive) well designed. 1000K new.
3 Coincident Dynamo MK II amplifier, very well made and offers exceptional single ended sound quality. Can easily drive the Tekton Lore. 1500K new. This leaves money available for necessary cables. I believe that these combined components would provide a very lively, dynamic and organic presentation with beautiful tone and emotional involvement. Very good value purchased new  and obviously more so if bought used. 
Good luck,
Charles
@audionoobie,
I believe you are getting many recommendations for an integrated amp as opposed to separates because you have stated that you are new to audio and have a $5K budget. A high-end integrated provides good "bang for the buck" and allows a generous amount of your budget to be devoted to speakers and a digital source.

If you can find a used preamp and amp within your budget, then go for it. I prefer separates, but you'll need advice when matching the components. Due to different designs in electronics, certain criteria must be followed when mating a preamp, amp and speakers, such as voltage gain, impedance, current. Not to mention, sometimes a preamp doesn't mate well sonically with a particular amp.
Even the most experienced audiophiles experiment with matching components to find the right synergy.
There have been recommendations to add a subwoofer without knowing what speakers you will have and the size of your room.
The Vandersteen 1Ci are a starting point and you may need a subwoofer, but first you'll need to audition as many speakers as you can. And also make a decision on floorstanders or monitors.

BTW, what are the dimensions of your room?