Looking to build a system for under $5k

Hello,

I am brand new to audio and looking to put a system together for around/under $5k all in. Any recommendations?

This would be mainly for CD audio but expandable for phono in the future. I have a small bedroom that I am dedicating as a music room upstairs in a cape cod style home. So it has angled walls that follow the roof line.

Looking for components that offer the biggest bang for the buck. I've done some research over the last couple of months and it seems like the Vandersteen 1Ci might be a good cornerstone to design a system around.

Thanks,

Joe

128x128audionoobie
I hate to be the one to say this but if you are looking for a general consensus, you are not likely to find one here. Do a search of of amps, speakers, sources and cables on these forums and you will find literally hundreds of different recommendations for each component.

My advice would be to go out and listen to some Vandersteens (among others if possible) if they float your boat then you may want to start a thread about them and perhaps the many Vandy owners on here can chime in and suggest a suitable amp. I believe there is a gentleman who frequents these forums quite often from Audio Connection in New Jersey and is widely known as the go to guy when it comes to all things Vandersteen.

Best of luck on your new system and welcome aboard there is a lot of useful information on these forums and many members on here with years of experience to draw from.

See these reviews about Schiit Audio components.  In particular note the reviewers comments at the end of the Ygg review.  
(i.e., Ygg>>Rag>>KEF LS50).  

Maybe think Oppo universal player in place of the Ygg to save some bucks.  Used will definitely save you bucks if you can find something that won't need immediate maintenance/repair.

Do try and get out to hear as much gear as you can - "educate your ear", as it were.  

Also, look at some of the budget systems here under Explore (Explore>Virtual Systems>Tags>Budget Minded).

Good luck in your hunt.  Lots of good combinations out there.

Ragnarok review
http://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-ragnarok-integrated-amplifier#jgGoqy06UZcgAjix.97

Yggdrasil review 
http://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-yggdrasil-da-processor#su5mQISbEdAHtZRq.97

Good advice to audition some Vandersteens or other speakers first. Then choose an amp that is a good match for your speakers; proper power rating, features, and tonal characteristics that are right for your taste.
An integrated amp would be the way to go to fit your budget. Some integrateds have a phonostage built-in for a TT/cartridge, or you can use a dedicated phono preamp.
You may want to prepare for the future, (which is music streaming), by looking at an Oppo spinner which plays CD’s and can accept streaming services.