Anybody have an ANK (Audio Note Kit) DAC?

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has one of these DACs, self-built, or factory assembled.

http://www.ankaudiokits.com/index.html#

I would especially like to hear from you if you have the DAC 5.1.

tommylion
tommylion,

I built an Audio Note Kits DAC 4.1LE about 5 years ago.  At that time, it was full of Black Gate caps, and Brian offered Audio Note output transformers as an option.  I've upgraded it extensively over the past few years, and I am very happy with it. 

I have not heard the 5.1, but based on my experience with Brian's kits, I expect it would sound very good.

Dave
dpetr

Tommylion
I build 3 ANK Kit DACs, the 1.1, 3.1 and the 4.1. The 4.1 was heavily modded with all sort of AN stuff. PM me if you are interested in what I did. The 5.1 kit is a great machine, sounds marvellous out of the box.

The 5.1 came out after a year from the launch and major success of the Mentor pre-amplifier, and it has the best parts of that in the DAC 5.1 such as big rectifier tube, shunt power supply, big power serves in the supply, short signal paths, latest Mundorf caps and the option of V-Cap or AN caps. TBH I don't think it can be beat for the price, it is really into Audio Note upper level territory IMO. Amazing sound for the price. 

Tommylion, I have an upgraded ANK 2.1 DAC. Digital Pete, the original builder, put in Duelund caps and high end resistors. The sound, especially with acoustic music and female vocals is wonderful. I can only imagine what the higher level Dacs are like. Good luck and enjoy!