video processor & hdmi

Here's the issue. I'm getting a new pre/pro that is absolutely awesome, but it lacks hdmi inputs (which at this moment doesn't matter much). I was thinking about getting an external video processor and do all the video switching through that. Probably something like a DVDO iScan VP50Pro. Can I take the HDMI input into that processor, output video at 1080i through the component and get the sound output through the digital output? Reading the manual on the DVDO website made me no smarter...
128x128audiojan
Audiojan,

They make a hdmi to rgb converter at CurtPalme.com and also a hdmi switcher if you need it.
I have a dvdo iScan VP30 hooked to my PC rig. I have my sat receiver into the dvdo and coax audio out to a dac. It works fine. I only use it for 2 channel but I could connect the coax out to a surround sound processsor and that would also work.
Ok, update... Bought a VP30 with ABT102 and SDI cards. Also got a SDI modified Oppo DV981. This way I can continue to use my trusty old PT-AE300U projector over component and scale it to the 940*540 resolution. Audio is routed through the VP30 to get the audio/video sync.

Probably during next year, I will invest in a new projector... looking at a JVC RS10 or RS20... or maybe I'll just get a use RS1 or RS2. Picture quality of the RS1 is pretty spectacular!