Used Ayre amp market pricing

I find the Ayre nomenclature confusing in that there are models with the same letters and number but their order seems significant.  I'm looking for a VX-5, not VX-5 Twenty, and wonder what the used market price is likely to be.  A 5-VX is too tall to fit in the space I have with 3" clearance.  Any advice will be appreciated.

db
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
mgreen,

Thanks for your insight.  In an effort to declutter the living room, I sold a Parasound A 21 that was too tall to fit into the equipment cabinet so sat on the floor.  Having three JC 1 monoblocks sitting on the floor of our music/HT room is one thing, having an A 21 sitting on the floor of the living room is another.

The V-5 series seems to be over 7" tall, whereas the VX-5 seems a bit over 4" tall.  To me, that's not a small detail.  I admit my only experience with Ayre components is my C-5xeMP that I think it has a superb non-HiFi sound I hope to capture with their preamp and amp.

BTW, as part of the declutter I took down the bass manager and subs.  The unaided KEF LS50s are quite satisfying for the jazz and baroque music I prefer. 

db
re decluttering:  A pair of 20-watt Cary 572 SE CAD monoblock tube amps do sit on either side of the equipment cabinet in the living room, but they are only about 8" wide, seem decorative, and sound surprisingly good driving the KEF LS50s.
Finding an audio component to fix into a specific space with height limits is not easy.   And, yes,the cost for the VX-5 will be lower than the price for the VX-5 Twenty unit.   The difference is usually the retail price difference between the two units 

The dimensions for the Ayre AX-5 Twenty power amplifier is 17.25" W x 18.75" D x 4.875" H.

Are you saying that its 4.875 height is too tall for your space?   If yes, what is the maximum height you need?

The sound quality for Ayre Acoustics equipment is excellent.  We need to find a model that fits your space (if possible).

hgeifman asks, "Are you saying that its 4.875 height is too tall for your space? If yes, what is the maximum height you need?"

The slot is 8" high, so a height of 5" would provide the 3" ventilation  Ayre recommends -- these amps are reported to run quite warm.  The cabinet is completely open front and back, and I'd be willing to drill 2" diameter holes along the side.  I might try an inexpensive V-3 that has a height of 5.5".

"I might try an inexpensive V-3 that has a height of 5.5"."

There's a very big difference between the V-3 and the V-5. Have a look at listing lis7gccg. Its for a pair of Pass Aleph 0 mono amps. I used to have a pair. If you are able to work with their size, I think they're a much better choice than the V-3. For the price and condition, you can't go wrong, and should have no problem getting all your money back if you sell them.