Fidelity Research FR-64 vs. FR-54

In a prior discussion, I had asked about tonearm suggestions for a Luxman PD-441 table that currently has a Denon DA-307 tonearm and Grado The Reference high output cartridge.  Many suggestions were provided.  A Fidelity Research FR-64 was suggested as a simple replacement.  I'm wondering if the FR-54 would also be good, being that it is mentioned in the Luxman manual in the same category as the Denon arm on there now?
bdunne
Dear @bdunne: First than all the Denon DA-307 is not the weak link in your system as you stated. I owned and know very well this and other Denon products including its LP recordings.

Please ask you weak link for whom or why?

You no sense expression " goofy " damping says that you need to understand first than all why exist a tonearm other than hold the cartridge.

No single undamped pivoted tonearm in the world can makes justice to any single cartridge and you are asking for the worst undamped tonearms ever made/designed: FR.

Here you can read why a tonearm needs be a damped design as your " goofy " DA-307:

file:///C:/Users/Rub%C3%A9n/Downloads/ve_denon_da-307_flyer.pdf 

The Luxman has the rigth tonearm for your current cartridge and future ones. There are not many tonearms than could performs at the high quality levels as the 307 can.

If I was you I will stay with the Denon tonearm and invest the money at least on LPs.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.

FR tonearms notwithstanding, I would point out that the Denon DA307 has a much different design flaw in and of itself:  It has a flexible joint in the arm wand, interposed between the headshell and the pivot.  I always thought this was a bad idea, but obviously someone at Denon thought it was a good idea, because they went to the trouble of building it into the arm wand.  In my opinion, you don't want the arm wand to flex at all, because flexing can cause unstable alignment of the cartridge.  It also interrupts energy transfer from headshell to pivot.  Anyway, have you given it a listen? Do you like it?  Raul cites Denon promotional material in support of the DA307 design.  Who else is going to support that design, if not Denon?  I am not sure who used the word "goofy" and why, but this seems to have upset Raul.

"Goofy" may have been my own creation after reading about the damping design of the Denon.  Maybe I should use "unconventional" instead.  In any event, I can't say I have a specific complaint about the Denon arm.  Perhaps it is as good as its going to get.  I was just looking for opportunities to upgrade the sound.  
The DA307 is liked by many. So, my opinion about the damper may hold no water.  On the other hand, the FR64S (don't know about the FR64, unless you meant to refer to the 64S) is liked and admired by even more audiophiles, Raul excluded.  This is not to say Raul is "wrong".  I own both of these tonearms.  I love the FR64S so far, don't hear any problems related to the lack of damping, and I have never used the DA307 (it came as a throw-in, when I bought a Denon DP80).  I sold it (on Audiogon) to some creep who then sent it back to me with a broken cue-ing device, claiming there was a problem with the bearings. I could see his screwdriver marks on the bearing housing, and he made no mention of having broken the cue. It's been lying around my basement ever since.
Let me know if you want to part out the Denon.  I need one of the original side screws on the pivot arm.  Years ago when I had the table looked over and a different cartridge installed, it came back with one of the original screws missing and replaced by something else.  Looks like it came out of someone's toolbox.  Anyway, I would be fine keeping the Denon arm.  It just seemed that so many people suggested that it would be best to replace it.