Should I consider the newer Audio Research pre & power amps, when I play records not CD's

I worked in and owned upper end audio stores back in the 1970's. (McIntosh B&O Magnepan, etc) I have been pretty much out of audio for the past 30 years. In my old age, I want to play the records I have saved (many MFSL & Japanese virgin vinyl) I kept my B&O linear 4002 W/mmc20CL cart. and it still works and I have newer B&W 804 speakers. I am going to get a new table of better quality. I have always wanted an Audio Research tube amp and Preamp. I am considering the LS 26 or LS17SE Preamp and older D90/115 or newer VS 115 or the Ref 75SE. I am in my 60's and my hearing is not as good as it was, plus I am lost with all the digital technology. (just started using a smart phone) I just wanted to get opinions spending $4000 on older ARC or bite the bullet and spend in the $7000 up. Is it worth spending the money for the new equipment when I am only playing records. 
128x128juke4u
If you want to stick with ARC, I'd go with an ARC-Classic 60 and an ARC REF-3 preamp. Take the CL-60 to a reliable tech and have him go through the amp to check the caps just to make sure they are operating at their full function. Also, have him remove the knuckle busting binding posts and swap them out for modern binding posts like the copper ones from Cardas. Use quality after market fuses in every thing ... fuses like Synergistic Research Blacks. 

Don't be fooled by the "paltry" 60 watts per side in the Classic 60.

If you want to go with one of ARC's reference series of amps, go with the REF-75 and change out the KT-120's for the KT-150's.  

Also as a final  note, with all of the cash I just saved you, get the AudioTechnica ART-9 cartridge and hear your old mono records (stereo too) sing. :-)

Frank
Thank you Frank for the thoughts. The first ARC amp I listened to was a  76/SP3 40 years ago and have wanted ARC ever since. I how have the money to get a few things on my Bucket list, but was amazed at how far out of touch I am. I restore old 1940's jukeboxes (state of the art in 1940) and all have tube amps, that have to have all the caps replaced and new tubes. The cartridge is like a nail (yes, a nail) and has to be upgraded. I don't think the 60 is enough power for me. I put the Ref 75 at the least I could use. If I upgrade my speakers, I could just get another one and biamp.    I would like to get a Ref 150 but the price is a little more than i want to put out.  After reading reviews on the Ref 2 and 3 and the recommendation from Lostbears I am going one of them.
Get an ARC pre-amp and a good SS amp (maybe the widely hailed Benchmark?).

I just bought a used ARC LS25 MkII and use it with a 20+ year old Sunfire amp on maggies.
I am just stuck on tubes. I love the warmness they offer. Yes a pain but I feel they are worth it. I love Magnepans an had a pair of the ARC Magneplanar Tympani's back in the 70 and loved them. They took up the hole room. They have come a long way over the years. 

Don’t underestimate the Classic 60. It punches way above it’s weight class. One of the reasons is that it use 4 6550 tubes per channel instead of 2. It is a magical sounding amp. It is not as detailed as later amps like the VT100. But it has a presence, a rightness that none of the VT100 models have. It is only the recent Ref series amps that really surpass the Classic and V series amps in a big way.

But because of it’s age you would need it gone through. At least the 4 large caps would need to be replaced. It is also not the easiest amp to bias. Then there is also the problem that a lot of modern cables won’t fit on the speaker strips. If you were to go that way I would strongly suggest the very late version that had balanced inputs or a V series amp. The V series is very similar to the Classic series but is balanced and came with KT90 tubes.