Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
randy-11,

I believe the Benchmark ABH2 is considered a class H amp.

Tim
All is good Noble100, I can certainly understand how folks like the Ncore amps so much since, in my system, they did a lot of things right (bass, tone, power, body and lack of noise). However,  even with very good and highly regarded amplifiers, seemingly minor sonic characteristics can affect one's level of satisfaction with how their system sounds.  Everybody has their own personal "right" sound.  I really wanted those to be my "final" amplifiers because they had the desirable combination of high power, high input impedance, balanced operation (my system is fully balanced), small size, low energy usage, low noise, and the ability to remain powered up all the time.  Unfortunately, my preference was for a pair of large, heavy, and hot Class A amplifiers. 
That is trolling
Only in your mind, because you refuse to accept that the higher switching frequency has yet to be realized, and you can't hear anything wrong with it where it is at the present.
Even though companies like Technics are showing the way and striving for higher frequencies, with their very expensive SE-R1.

And as far as not giving any positive post go, I said they have a bass control that can't be equaled, and I'll be the first to get the newer generation of higher switching frequency ones, when they evolve which will fix the problems that many hear in the upper mid and highs, and you obviousely can't.

Cheers George  
mitch2,

Thank you for your reply, I agree with all you stated and now have a better understanding of your thoughts, situation and position.  

I'm glad we were able to clarify and think it's a good sign that we were both able to find amplification that we're pleased with utilizing different amp types.

Later,
 Tim

Hi George, I am amongst those who cannot hear any displeasing high freequency artifacts or limitations in some -- and by no means not all -- class D amps in current production. I would include at least:

Rowland M925  and 825 (both based on NC1200), Continuum S2 (Pascal M2-Pro).

Bel Canto Black (NC1200 derivative).

Merrill Veritas (NC1200).

Conversely, a number of older amps, like the old Rowland M501 and 201, and the NuForce did  display modrate to severe audible limitations.

It is also worth mentioning that even the best class D amps can sound limited, oscillating  between screetchy and tubby until break-in is complete, which unfortunately can range between 600 and 2000 hours, depending on power conversion module and amplifier design... THus, breaking in a class D amp can be an exercise in extreme patience and anxiety control *Rolls eyes!* 

Yet, As you are mentioning the switching frequency as a probable cause of limitations that you perceive, would is your estimate of the switching frequency one would require to push any such artifacts into the inaudible stratosphere for good?

Saluti, Guido