Tom Petty Box Sets

Got the two new Tom Petty Box Sets and was wondering if anyone else out there has them and what you think of them.  I've been playing them for a couple of days and have to say being a Tom Petty fan it's great to have all these albums on 180 gram and thou the price for both Sets comes in at close to $500 you get 16 albums which comes to around $31 a LP. The albums sound great viny is quite, not as "Hot" as the Stones Mono set. If your a Tom Petty fan and can afford it this is a must have. 
128x128lenmc2964
The following is mostly cut and paste from various sites.

VOLUME 1:
Limited Edition 180g Vinyl 9LP Box Set!
Cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering from Original Analog Master Tapes!

Features:
• Limited Edition
• 9LP Box Set
• 180g Vinyl
• Lift-Top Box
• Replica artwork
• Cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering
• Cut from Original Analog Master Tapes!
• Pressed at QRP (all except the 1st three albums)
• All except three albums were remastered for this box set; Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers, You're Gonna Get It!,  Damn The Torpedoes

"QRP pressing plant pressed most of the MCA era box, it did not press all of it. Two of the records, the first two Tom Petty albums, reverted back to Tom, who later licensed them to Warner Brothers. So even though they are in the MCA box, the pressing was done under Warner Brothers control..." - analogplanet.com

VOLUME 2:
Limited Edition 180g Vinyl 12LP Box Set! Seven Classic Albums!
Cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Studios! All but two LP's cut from original Master Tapes.

While the original releases of Wildflowers, Echo and Last DJ were mastered for vinyl from digital sources, for the 2016 box set release, they assembled the original analog masters for the first time, and mastered vinyl from that. According to Bellman, "the sound quality is especially better on these albums." - analogplanet.com

All except two albums remastered for this box set. Mojo - (2010) (2010 remaster).  Hypnotic Eye - (2014) (2014 remaster). Both Digital sources for the box set.

Please disregard an earlier post (above) regarding Geffen Records, it was in error.
Geffen Records produced the recent greatest Hits on 180g vinyl. I remember someone posting here that the Sonics were not as good as 1st pressings or the new box sets.

ORIGINAL LABELS:

Shelter Recording Company Inc.
Profile:
Only use this profile where Shelter Recording Company Inc. is directly credited. If the release credits Shelter Records please credit Shelter Records. If the Shelter Records logo is present, then use that as the label.

Known to have used Bernie Grundman Mastering for Mastering
Parent Label:Capitol Records
Sites:bsnpubs.com

Shelter Records
Profile:
Shelter label appearance:
• When it began in 1970, the Shelter label was red, with an egg image bearing an inverted Superman logo*.
     (*From mid-1972 to 1973 [the remainder of Shelter's distribution by Capitol] this part of the Shelter logo was usually overstamped [obscured] with a black rectangle in response to a copyright infringement lawsuit and later settlement with DC Comics).
• After ABC took over distribution in 1974, the Shelter label was an 'S' in egg-shape circle on orange tint background, with 'Shelter' in curved black text at top.
• The ABC-distributed Shelter label later became orange, with 'Shelter' in dark orange print seen in a straight line at top.
• In 1978, Shelter employed the eerie orange-and-yellow tinted 'Saturn & Moon' design (the "S" egg now has a Saturn ring over it), which was later continued into the MCA era when it acquired ABC Records in 1979.
(See full background on Company page Shelter Recording Company Inc.)
Label Code: LC 1766

Backstreet Records
Profile:
Backstreet Records was an MCA Records sublabel that was active during the 1980s, but is now defunct.

Vinyl releases on this label may have MCA master plate numbers on the labels -- ignore them; only use the BSR numbers.
Parent Label:  MCA Records
Contact Info:
90 Universal City Plaza
Universal City, California

slaw if I had to chose box 1 would be the one I'd go for. And yes Shelter was a part of MCA. 
Mostly cut and paste from other sites:

Along with others bsnpubs.com has a lot of good info on pressings and lables

Shelter Recording Company Inc.
Profile:
Known to have used Bernie Grundman Mastering for Mastering
Parent Label:  Capitol Records
Sites:bsnpubs.com

Shelter Album Discography
By Mike Callahan, David Edwards, and Patrice Eyries
Last update: September 2, 2005

Shelter Lable:
1960's (1963?)  Distributed by Blue Thumb
1970 thru 1973  Distributed by  Capitol
1973 Thru 1975 Distributed by MCA
1975 thru 1979  Distributed by Capitol
1979 distributed by MCA, folded into Backstreet Lables, Petty stays with MCA

During each different distributorship, many of the existing albums were reissued with new numbers, consequently many of the Shelter albums were reissued 3 or more times.

The Shelter label was established in the late 1960s by Leon Russell and some friends from Oklahoma, including producer Denny Cordell and well-known studio musicians Carl Radle, Don Preston, Jesse Ed Davis, and others. Russell and Cordell were the main owners of the label and ran things. In 1976, Russell and Cordell had a falling out and Cordell ended up with sole ownership of the label. Russell and his wife Mary (McCreary) started Paradise Records (distributed by Warner Bros.) with the initial Wedding Album by Leon and Mary Russell.

The Shelter label was more than a vehicle for Leon Russell records, although a large percentage of the output involved either Russell or Cordell in some way. Oklahoma legend J.J. Cale got his start with the label, as did Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Phoebe Snow, and the Dwight Twilley Band.

The first release on the Shelter label was distributed by Blue Thumb, but distribution was changed to Capitol Records during the period from 1970 to 1973. The first issue, Leon Russell [Shelter SHE- 1001] had a track called "Old Masters" which was only on the initial Blue-Thumb-distributed pressings. When Capitol took over distribution, this track was deleted. The standard CD issue these days has the song, but as a bonus track. Only the DCC gold CD has the song in its original spot in the lineup.

One of the interesting sidelights to this label concerns the original logo, with the inverted "Superman" emblem on an egg. Apparently, D.C. Comics, the owners of the Superman copyright, thought it was a bit too close for their liking, and the resulting settlement caused Shelter to place a black rubber stamped box or bar over that part of the logo, until a new logo and new label blanks could be produced. This started in 1972, and records pressed before that have the superman-egg logo without the bar, while remaining Capitol-distributed labels after mid-1972 had the bar across the logo.

After the Capitol distribution contract ran out in 1973, Shelter went to MCA for distribution. The initial offering on MCA was Mary McCreary's Butterflies Are Free, which was released on the MCA label. Later Shelter issues distributed by MCA were placed in the consolidated 2100 series. MCA distributed the label until 1975, when ABC took over distribution. This lasted until 1979, when ABC was taken over by MCA, and Shelter once again became part of the MCA distribution system. MCA issued one J.J. Cale albums on the Shelter/MCA label, then folded the artists into their Backstreet group of labels. Cale and Tom Petty continued with MCA, but there were no more "new" releases on Shelter. When Dwight Twilley went from Shelter to Arista the initial releases had the Shelter logo on the Arista label.

During each different distributorship, many of the existing albums were reissued with new numbers, consequently many of the Shelter albums were reissued 3 or more times.

The first label was red red with black print. To the left of the center hole was an egg with the inverted "Superman" logo with "SHELTER RECORDS" below the egg. For SHE-1001, at the bottom of the label is "DISTRIBUTED BY BLUE THUMB RECORDS, INC." For the Capitol-distributed issues, which used the same label, at the bottom of the label is "DISTRIBUTED BY CAPITOL RECORDS, INC." Labels for issues after mid-1972 or so had a bar across the egg logo. There were several custom labels, also, such as Leon Russell's Carney (see below) and J.J. Cale's Really. These custom labels used a new logo without the "superman" emblem, with just a shakily hand drawn "S" inside an egg-shaped oval.

When Shelter switched to MCA for distribution, a new label was designed. It was yellow-orange with bl;ack print, with the logo at the left of the center hole, and "SHELTER RECORDING COMPANY, INC." on three lines at the top. When ABC took over distribution, they initially used an orange label with orange print, with similar design to the MCA label, but with a small ABC logo at the right of the center hole. This was later changed to a red label with the Shelter logo with a saturn-typ ring around it at the top and a "man in the moon" figure along the left side of the label.

We would appreciate any additions or corrections to this discography. Just send them to us via e-mail. Both Sides Now Publications is an information web page. We are not a catalog, nor can we provide the records listed below. We have no association with Shelter Records. Should you be interested in acquiring albums listed in this discography (all of which are out of print), we suggest you see our Frequently Asked Questions page and follow the instructions found there. This story and discography are copyright 2002 by Mike Callahan.

SHELTER ALBUM DISCOGRAPHY

Number - Title - Artist [Release Date] (Chart) Contents

SHE-1000 Series (Distributed by Blue Thumb Records):

SHE 1001 - Leon Russell - Leon Russell [2/1/70] (4-70, #60)A Song For You/Dixie Lullaby/I Put A Spell On You/Shoot Out On The Plantation/Hummingbird//Delta Lady/Prince Of Peace/Old Masters/Give Peace A Chance/Hurtsome Body/Pisces Apple Lady/Roll Away The Stone

8900 Series (Capitol Distribution):

SHE 8901/SW 8901 - Leon Russell - Leon Russell [1970] Reissue of Shelter SHE 1001. Original pressings have the red label with the "superman egg" logo without a bar across it. Later pressings have the bar across both the logo on the front cover and the logo on the record label. A Song For You/Dixie Lullaby/I Put A Spell On You/Shoot Out On The Plantation/Hummingbird//Delta Lady/Prince Of Peace/Give Peace A Chance/Hurtsome Body/Pisces Apple Lady/Roll Away The Stone

SHE 8902/SW 8902 - In God We Trust - Don Nix [1970] Original pressings have the red label with the "superman egg" logo without a bar across it. In God We Trust/Golden Mansions/I'll Fly Away/He Never Lived A Day Without Jesus/Nero My God To Thee//Amos Burke/Long Way To Nowhere/Iuka/Will The Circle Be Unbroken/I've Tried (Trucker's Lament)

SW 8903 - Leon Russell & the Shelter People - Leon Russell & Shelter People [5/3/71] (5-71, #17)Original pressings have the red label with the "superman egg" logo without a bar across it. Stranger In A Strange Land/Of Thee I Sing/A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall/Crystal Closet Queen/Home Sweet Oklahoma/Alcatraz//The Ballad Of Mad Dogs And Englishmen/It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry/She Smiles Like A River/Sweet Emily/Beware Of Darkness

SW 8904 - Grease Band - Grease Band [1971] (4-71, #190) Original pressings have the red label with the "superman egg" logo without a bar across it. My Baby Left Me/Mistake No Doubt/Let It Be Gone/Willie And The Pig/Laughed At The Judge//All I Wanna Do/To The Lord/Jesse James/Down Home Momma/The Visitor

SW 8905 - Getting Ready - Freddie King [1971] Original pressings have the red label with the "superman egg" logo without a bar across it. Going Down/Living On The Highway/Walking By Myself/I'm Tore Down/Palace Of The King//Same Old Blues/Dust My Broom/Worry My Life No More/Five Long Years/Key To The Highway

SW 8906 - Through the Eye - Jim Horn [1972]

@slaw 
My pleasure, makes for interesting reading and a little bit more knowledge regarding the recordings we all enjoy, and may also be helpful when purchasing used and new recordings.