Bricasti M1 DAC vs PS Audio Direct Stream DAC

I own a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC that I like a lot but heard my friends system with the Bricasti M1 and I am strongly thinking of changing my DAC and would love your feedback from other members that have heard either or both. I know they are both great but really thinking of changing my Dac from PS Audio Direct Stream to the Bricasti M1 DAC. I use a HP Desk top computer as source with Jplay and JRiver Media 19 and the outstanding Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable. The rest of my system is below. I listen to Classic Rock, jazz, vocal, some modern music and the usual audiophile stuff.

Thanks

My system for reference.

Ascendo C-8 Renaissance Speakers (Germany) Monitor
Purist Audio Design Corvus Praesto Revision 2.5m Bi-Wire Speaker cable
Cardas Clear Interconnect 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Audio Research REFERENCE 1 w/Rhodium IEC/NOS Tubes Tube preamp
Decware ZSTAGE External Triode Output StageTelefunken ECC801S
PS Audio Direct Stream DSD DAC w/ Bridge DA converter
Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable
PS Audio PerfectWave PowerBase Vibration Cancelation/AC Condtioner
Conrad Johnson Premier 12 Mono's 140 Watts Tung-Sol KT120's amps
PS Audio PowerPlant Premier AC Regenerator
BMI Shark Pure Jeweler Grade Platinum AC Power Cable
Sablon Audio Petite Corona 2.0M AC Power Cable
Mad Scientist PC-NEO with Power Purifier AC Power Cable
JPS Labs The Power AC+ 2M AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series SE T1 AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series T1 AC Power Cable
PS Audio Noise Harvester (5) Converts noise to light
OYAIDE RI Beryllium Power Outlets (2)
Hubbell Outlet 5362/5262 Deep Cryo Process
Blue Circle Audio The Yalu Balula Industrial Surge/Spike Protection
JPLAY v5.2 hi-end audio player turns PC into a digital transport.
JRiver Media Center 19 Music Software
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
Guys - can  anyone speak to the new Bricasti M1 SE upgrade out there and PS Audio's new upgrade? I know PS Audio has excellent software upgrades much more frequently than Bricasti offers upgrades and wanted to see what you guys think? I've heard the latest PS Audio upgrade is killer and was wondering if the M1SE upgrade is on par or close or better or not as good? Pretty impressive how PS Audio continually evolves their DAC with Teds evolution friendly platform! 
My dealer recommended the PS Audio DirectStream & Bricasti DAC, said to me that they are "different sounding" but very "comparable".

I bought the DirectStream DAC from him, and am glad I did, as I've applied four firmware upgrades, since my purchase over two years ago.  I selected the PS Audio, in part because it was FPGA-based, so firmware updates would improve the performance of the DAC, not just modify the "features".

Having said that, I think either one would "float one's boat", they both seem to be strong sellers in their price range.

Hi fsmithjack,

You asked about transports and speakers; there is something cool I can share, although not really about my own system, which is nothing special.

I listen mostly to classical music ripped to lossless files stored on my Mac Pro.  I play these with VLC software running on macOS Sierra.  I usually rip new CD’s immediately but otherwise use a Marantz CD6000OSE CD player.  This elderly player sounds excellent routed through my DS.  Ted Smith has claimed that all transports sound the same with the DS DAC because it does not rely on timing from the source which could cause jitter.  Maybe his opinion will change now that PSA has introduced the DS Memory Player.  With ability to deliver full SACD resolution to the DS via encrypted I2S, that transport sounds like the new SOTA.

As for speakers, I listen near-field via a pair of Wharfedale Opus 2 M2’s.  Alternatively, I switch to Altec-Lansing Valencia 846b’s that mated well with my previous all-tube system.  PSA CEO Paul McGowan doesn’t like horns but I think the Valencias sound fine within their limits.  I also listen to Audeze LCD-2 headphones  through the headphone section of the BHK preamp.

That’s my stuff, but maybe the question should be “what transport and speakers are best?”

To begin addressing this I wondered what choices Ted Smith made for his personal system,  which led me to this page where he listed all his equipment.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/members/ted-smith/

As I write this, Ted has not updated the list for over a year, so take it with a grain of salt.  He may well have updated the preamp, amp, and transport with PSA equipment by now.  But regarding the transport especially his choice is quite remarkable!  In this list Ted is using an Oppo BDP-103 updated to include a Vanity 103HD DoP analog board.  The unique feature of this board is that it outputs full multichannel SACD digital for connection to the DAC of your choice.  This is huge  as it somehow bypasses Sony’s encryption which normally prevents the Oppo from outputting full SACD digital.

Ted uses his Oppo BDP-103 with a Vanity 103HD DoP to drive no less than THREE DS DAC’s for full surround sound.  The story of how he came to adopt this system is documented in the following PSA forum thread:

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/dop-output-from-an-oppo/

Audiopraise Vanity boards are sold by JVB Digital:

http://www.jvbdigital.nl/jvb.asp?cur=2&level=sdi&page=browse&searchtype=quicksearch&searchstring=vanity

For speakers, Ted uses JM Lab Utopia (Novas, Altos, sub).  

PSA also has another product under development that has caught my interest: speakers.  

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/loudspeakers-1/new-ps-audio-speakers/

This becomes more intriguing when you realize they are being designed by none other than Arnie Nudell of Infinity / Genesis fame.  

http://www.stereophile.com/content/arnie-nudell-infinity-genesis#qP67dVSIl0Bu8icL.97

So, yeah, there’s that to look forward to.  In the meantime, I am basking in a new CD set (Marie-Catherine Girod - Mendelssohn Complete Works for Solo Piano).  The Marantz player may not be SOTA but the DS DAC makes it sing like a nightingale!