Anthem 225 integrated: Anyone knows anything ?

Hello,

I am building a smaller system and I came to find out about this seemingly amazing bargain in the Anthem 225.

Now, the dealer also sells the YBA Design line, Cambridge Audio and Musical Fidelity.

I have no experience with those lines (except with a MF A5 integrated).

I have experience with higher-end (tubes and SS) but nothing from those manufacturers mentioned.

Now the dealer says that the Anthem 225 - is WAY BELOW a cambridge 840A and YBA Design - maybe so, but since he has no demo unit for me to listen to, its hard to say.

On reputation alone, maybe he's right, but look at the Anthem closely, build quality and all. Looks like a bargain for a 1,500 retail price doesn't it ? Any comments?
sonicbeauty
I own an Anthem 225 for about two years now and I'm pleased with it. As Frazeur1 says, very neutral and doesn't call attention to itself.
I just listened to that amp at a shop in Wilmington DE yesterday for two hours while auditioning equipment. I was impressed by it food the price..about $1300. It was pretty smooth and neutral with realistic bass and mids and decent soundstage. I am looking at moving from steps to an integrated so wanted a pace comparable to my upgraded Macintosh mc250.the 225 was very nice but different more modern. It paled next to the Ayre CX5 I listened to next but that was 2+x more costly. I figure the Anthem is a good budget choice. BTW I was replacing a CA Cd740 which had issues at 3 yes old. Made me wonder about CA quality?
I owned the Cambridge audio 840a and wasn't impressed. It was a good unit just didn't blow you away. The Anthem is also twice the power.

I have had both  The 804a V2 is very good and well built ut a bit thin sounding  Does not lack bass. Just not a rich sound.  More of a lean sound. Yes the rattle is annoying.   I thought  the Anthem 225  was going to be the deal and end the merry go round. Great bang for the buck.  problem is I (and others) found it kind of dry sounding .  Also  I ran it against an exposure 2010S.  One would have thought the exposure was the more powerful amp.  more exciting , more live more organic.  Much like a Naim or old NAD 3020/7020.  The 225 may have been a touch more refined but less involving.  I still would like to try one again as it is a good value.  A dealer near me has a great deal on them.  NO  relation.