The Palladian-A step beyond

The new cartridge from Acoustical Systems may finally be the LOMC to fully realise the theoretical advantages of the genus.
And convince those long-suffering audiophiles to whom the 'modern' MC presentation has been anathema to 'live sound'....that the realism of vintage LOMCs like the SPUs and FR-7 series has finally been recaptured 👀
IMAGE 1 
IMAGE 2 
IMAGE 3 
IMAGE 4 
IMAGE 5 
IMAGE 6 
IMAGE 7 
128x128halcro
maybe the reason is down to incompatable effective mass of the arm cart combo?

The FR-66s has the highest effective mass of any commercial tonearm produced.
If there were no audible compatibility issues with it, plus its little brother FR-64s plus the DV-507/II plus the SAEC WE-8000/ST.....I can't see effective mass being the reason....?
At any rate, it was not a low-frequency problem or arm vibration that ruled out the other tonearms.

Sampsa 55, ''Implies'' is logical conclusion, not a conjecture''.

This is correct provided we provided the premisse from which

the conclusion follow. The logic state that a conclusion is

true if the premisse is also true. But logic does not decide about

the ''real truth''. Meanings or sense are about languge such that

we understand what is stated. We need in addition the reference

to the reality . The so called ''correspondence'' between statements

and reality. However ''corespondence'' should not be seen as

''identity relation'' . This was the reason for Frege's curious

invention that statements refer to truth values: the truth OR

the false. Wittgenstein stated: ''for two things to say that they

are identical make no sense and to say that everything is identical

with its self say nothing''.

Nandric,
First of all, to imply is an English verb meaning by suggestion or supposition.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/imply
Infer means to conclude from evidence, not imply.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/infer

''Implies'' is logical conclusion, not a conjecture''.

This is correct provided we provided the premisse from which  the conclusion follow. The logic state that a conclusion is true if the premisse is also true.***

Not quite. The premise can be true and the conclusion false if the argument is faulty. 

This is like reading pedantic nonsense. Any statement or argument  is true if you prove it to be so, or might be true without proof to the contrary.

Taking one word out of context and changing the meaning of a statement or paragraph is a fallacy in itself.  

Dear @fleib : """  So far, there is no perfect cart and I doubt if this is..."""

No, it's not. Perhaps cartridges are one of the audio system links where from almost started its design does not changed :

The essence of the cartridge design did not changed in the last 60+ years, in reality it's almost the same. The cartridge motor still are: LOMC, MM, MI, etc., still are using almost the same suspension design/dampers, cantilevers ( even in the past better ones with the berrilyum build material, diamond or saphire. Today the best cartridges use boron that was used on the vintage cartridges and in those times boron was used as tube not rod like today, tube is a lot better. ), today still use of Shibata or special ellipthical or Micro Ridge or VdH stylus tip, the LOMC vintage ones are a lot better trackers than the top today ones and this sole fact means that the vintage cartridges pick up more music information than today ones an at the same time means lower distortions. Today on cartridges there is nothing really new but very high prices.

Even in the past existed better ways to do that: electret or electrostatic designs that today no one use and even almost no one knows about. Cartridge body materials does not changed: titanium, ceramic, aluminum, wood and the like are the same.

The magnets used and in use today are nothing new because platinum, neodinyum, samarium cobalt and syntetic ones ( that use today Dynavector. ) comes from 40-50 years ago. Same happens with the internal coils wire: cooper, silver, gold or blended materials nothing of this is new.

One day I ask me what am I buying ( I was a " frenetic " buyer on today cartridges. ) ?  better cartridges? not really, better quality performers? not really, cartridges that outperforms the other  I bought? not really. Every single question I made the answer was nothing really totally new, sometimes what we have is something diferent and perhaps one single quality level cartridge characteristic but no single " today " cartridge came or comes with all better cartridge quality characteristics. Then I stop to buy the " cartridge of the month ".

Today the real experts on cartridge design/manufacturers are the ones dedicated expressely to design only cartridges and this fact made it that why they are the only true cartruidge experts designers.

We have names as Ortofon ( the LOMC piooner manufacturer for more than 60+ years. Here is experience and not only on cartridges but they were and are really experienced on cutter heads designs of world fame . ) or Dynavector or Benz Micro or Vandenhul or J.Carr ( that even designed for companies orther than his own Lyra cartridges ). All them still works very hard trying to present something new some true and real cartridge evolution but the cartridge it self " essence " did not permited till today. Yes, all of them today has better quality performers but nothing really new. There is no new cartridge technology, new kind of generator/transducer principles.

On paper the Palladian shows nothing new but old and if I follow the OP review then I know for sure how it performs and I know is more of the same and only the new kid on the block.

Regards and enjoy the music,

R.

richardkrebs
12-04-2016 9:25pm
Halcro
Wouldn’t the amplitude (movement) of the cantilever be the same for both families of cartridge?

halcro OP
12-04-2016 10:09pm
Wouldn’t the amplitude (movement) of the cantilever be the same for both families of cartridge?

I see what you’re saying Richard.....
Of course the movement of the cantilever is governed by the groove modulation and not by the compliance.....

LMAO, what laws of physics are you plucking this from.
I would expect that cartridge compliance, effective mass of the tonearm and bearing friction all play a role in both the amplitude and behaviour of the cantilever when navigating groove modulations.

Halcro you have suggested before that effective mass does not have an impact before but you are wrong. An easy experiment is to change the effective mass of your tonearm by adding or subtracting mass - I have done this with your much vaunted FR64S and it is easy to hear consistent differences when altering the effective mass in a decent system.