Can I convert stereo to mono for a phono input

My preamp doesn't have a switch to convert stereo to mono.  I would like to switch a stereo signal to mono to set my cartridge azimuth (when using two channels out of phase, this method allows accurate balancing of the channels).  Is there a way to build a simple converter: two RCA female plugs taking a stereo signal and mixing it to mono, output as two RCA male plugs (mono signal)?

I have a test LP that provides a stereo track (test signal) with the two sides out of phase.  All I would need to do is feed that through the mono converter to set my azimuth. 

Thanks for any advice.  Peter

peter_s
It looks like the currently manufactured Einstein phono stage has a specified output impedance of 50 ohms. While it may very possibly be ok to short its two outputs together with a y-adapter while they are driving opposite polarity signals (even though that would cause far more current to flow in the two output stages than under normal circumstances when music is being played and the outputs aren’t shorted), and I suspect that a lot of audiophiles would just go ahead and do that, that is a low enough impedance that I personally would very definitely NOT take that risk without an ok from the manufacturer.

Best regards,
-- Al

I am feeling intellectually lazy, but a superficial reading of this thread leads me to think that the OP may want to achieve EQUAL amounts of crosstalk, by the method described.  That's OK, but keep in mind that equal crosstalk of one channel into the other and vice-versa does not usually correlate with LEAST crosstalk of one channel into the other and vice-versa, unless you own the mythical perfectly constructed phono cartridge.  If your goal is least crosstalk possible, then this method may fail to get you there.

Why do things the easy way when you can do them the hard way and risk your equipment at the same time?

**Azimuth Adjustment

Track 2 - 1KHz reference level, left channel only                            Measure right channel output

Track 3 - 1KHz reference level, right channel only                            Measure left channel output **

Analogue Productions Test LP (about $40)

My immediate goal is to get equal output out of both channels.  Right now the right channel is a bit louder than the left, and I can see this on the meters for my recording device.  There is no issue with me using a single in phase test tone for both channels at the same time, and using my meters to make the adjustment.  I would just rather do the "nulling" with the out of phase test tone - that is more definitive.
Dear Peter,
I have read several long treatises on azimuth and how to set it and why to set it.  Two such experts were Victor Khomenko of BAT and Brian Kearns, a "guy" who used to hold forth on the vinyl asylum and who seemed to know what he was talking about.  I printed out both of their long posts on VA. Those two disagreed on a few items, but they both agreed that azimuth adjustment should not be done in hopes of equalizing channel output.  (I actually wondered whether that was your goal, but I figured Almarg would have warned you off it before me, if that was the case.)  Since I own a Triplanar tonearm where it is a simple matter to alter azimuth, I actually conducted an experiment to determine for myself the effect of azimuth adjustment on channel output (i.e., not crosstalk).  I proved to myself that both Brian and Victor are correct.  At the most extreme angles off the perpendicular with respect to the LP surface, I was able to measure only a 1-2db change in channel output, for both the R and L channels.  Furthermore, you would never want to play LPs with the cartridge tilted so far away from horizontal (or perpendicular if you reference the LP surface).  Doing so would obviously damage both the LP and the stylus tip, over time.  The bottom line is that fiddling with azimuth is not the way to deal with a difference in signal voltage between R and L channels. Even if you could "fix" the problem that way, you would be sacrificing too much else, including in addition to increased stylus and LP wear, also minimizing crosstalk, to make it worthwhile. You should look elsewhere for your solution.