In-celing and in-wall speaker choice

I am moving into a new house and need some suggestions on how to manage the two rooms that will be wired for home theaters.

The first room will need in-ceiling L, C, and R and on-wall or in-wall surrounds. The second room has a vaulted ceiling, so I assume in-ceiling speakers are less desireable but the room geometry permits in-wall speakers throughout, unlike the other room.

Any suggestions on speaker choices? I have looked into def tech, Martin Logan, and PSB. PSB seems to be the only choice I've found with both in-ceiling and dipole in-wall speakers.

Any other possibilities?

Michael
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsufentanil
Without knowing the room dimensions anybody would be hard pressed to give any real guidance. Suggest you read Floyd Toole's book on 'Sound Reproduction' to get a clear understand of what factors are in play.
The Vienna Acoustics Schoenberg line of on-walls is a very good sounding, great looking choice (particularly for a contemporary room design). I've had a set of gloss black Schoenbergs in my HT room for 6 years now and I am still very happy with the choice

Good luck.

Marty
Hi Steve, good to hear from you! I assume that the Joseph's are a little up there in the price? I'm trying to do this for under $2-3K.

My thoughts are to use PSB's for the ceiling+in-wall surround room, and something like definitive technologies to do the in-wall speaker rooms.

Does anyone have any idea of how the Martin Logan's compare to these brands?

Michael
Haven't heard them, but looks like Paradigm also offers a good selection of inwalls with some cheaper options than PSB, etc. Might be worth a look since I'd guess they're in a similar performance range. Someone told me there were some deals on Revel inwalls (I didn't even know they made inwalls), and that might be worth exploring as well.

As far as dipole inwalls for the rears in the second room, I wonder if that's really necessary. My friend had in-ceiling rears placed a little behind and a little wider than the listening position(s) and with that placement they offered very nice diffuse and non-locatable ambient sound. Might save you some $$$ too if that would work, and with the advanced EQ programs in today's AV receivers I'd think that could compensate for your high ceilings. Anyway, best of luck.