Reel to Reel tape decks

Reel to reel tape decks; I recall going with my wife, in the early 70's, in search for a new washer and dryer. This was when "Tipton", a major appliance store sold everything, including reel to reel tape decks. They were just flat out beautiful; I could picture one in my luxurious listen room done up in mahogany; tables, chairs, woodwork, everything. (in my dreams)

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/5/9409563/reel-to-reel-tape-retro-audio-trend

As a matter of fact, there was a Pioneer deck just like the one you see pictured on this link, at that time; presently I have a Technics 2track RS 1500.

I noticed they mentioned a Teac X-2000R. Sorry folks, I don't recommend that one. I bought mine new, and it lasted for a good while, but it was not repair friendly. Even if you get a new deck, it has to be repair friendly; it's not like the old days when you could find a tech to put your specs back in harmony.

I also owned an Akai; it took months to get parts when it was new. How long do you think it would take now?

Technics people were a dream to work with; after I bought my used reel, I called them for new parts, no problem; I bought everything I could replace, that's why mine is still up to snuff. Plus it's repair friendly; I worked on mine a time or two. I'm a tech, not specifically a reel tech, but I do have the repair manual.

Inna, you evidently did your homework; I wouldn't consider anything other than a 2 track, Otari, or Technics like the one in the picture, and Studer with out a doubt, but if you can not get it repaired don't buy it, what ever it is.

That Tascam sure looks pretty; I would buy it new, if the price was right. That $200, pre recorded tape is no good if your machine is not 100% up to specs.

You can record, and playback on your own machine, and get results that are 100% good, but you're taking a chance when you get outside tape that's prerecorded.

For sure, a reel to reel can top any turntable; good luck, have fun; and as I always say;

Enjoy the music.

orpheus10

Scar972, after I discovered how easy this deck was to work on, I called Panasonic and found that I could get any parts I wanted. The only Ckt boards I've seen of this quality were in industrial equipment; they built this deck to last, and be repaired if it didn't last.

I replaced all the transistors and the capacitors with "Black Gates"; they were expensive and meant to last, but you can't get them anymore. Although I want another deck, I'll never part with this one. I'm not familiar with IEC equalization?

I had a Teac that had a tape position for EE tape, and I really miss that tape. I still have one or two reels left, that are mixed up with the rest of the tapes, and I can no longer tell it by sight, but when I hear it, I know it by sound; it's spectacular. What I didn't know is the fact that you don't have to have a deck with that EE position. I wish I had bought it by the case when it was available.

I'll make sure the next deck has that IEC equalization.

Happy listening.

I must be some kind of reel to reel freak; they all look so beautiful that I want everyone I see. Now I understand why some people have so many. For sure, now is the time to buy, and it's going to take the masses forever to catch on and run the prices up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfP0u64-xGI

Enjoy the music.
Orpheus,

I think prices have already gone up on decks.  Moreover, the prices on tapes -- some of unknown or dubious provenance -- has gone up...unquestionably.
There are quite a few r2r tapes of the RCA golden age albums, but not many of the Mercury’s. At least that I’ve seen. Wonder how they sound compared to the LP’s?

Presently, I'm enjoying a new tape I just made, and recalling a story about a well heeled audiophile who could afford just about anything he wanted. This was some time ago when audiophiles were bad mouthing computer audio.

Him and his club got together every week. If I remember correctly, he had "Joule Electra" amp and pre; at that time he was comparing his vinyl collection he had recently archived to the PC library, to direct from the TT. Once he discovered that he couldn't tell the difference between playing a record and listening to the computer playback, he quit spinning vinyl; instead, he selected the evening listening session from the PC library, and settled back into his listening chair to enjoy.

At the next club meeting; "Well John, how did your audition with the XYZ cartridge go"? Rather than tell everyone he'd been listening to computer playback, and had not taken the time to audition "XYZ" cartridge, he faked it.

I'm listening to the reel that I selected, and recorded from the PC library; it's so much easier than the old way of running back and forth from the TT to the deck. I don't think I can tell the difference between CD and LP, much less the difference between spinning a record and hearing it from the TT direct. while most of what was selected is vinyl, there are also some CD's in the mix.

Just recently I posted a thread asking if others could tell the difference between TT direct, and PC playback; they answered they couldn't, and neither can I.

Sometime ago, we went round and round on the PC forum about the best way to archive LP's; and "Stereophile" had articles on the subject, plus, they even selected the best computer cards for interfacing the transition from LP to PC library.

There is absolutely no doubt, that if done right, you can not distinguish between listening to a record from your PC or TT.

BTW, appreciate recommendations for blank tape.

Enjoy the music.