Since Krell 302e & Cary SPL-05 have (gain/imp issues) what tube pre is best w/ the krell?

Looking SS enhanced sounstage,bass slam plus the warmth of tubes.
iggy7
Thanks Al, you teach me something new everyday!
It seems odd to me that a preamp would find a 10K load easier than a 100K load. Strange indeed.

I notice that the gain numbers in the measurements seem to be very different from not only the gain numbers at that time, but also the gain numbers posted on the Cary website today for the SLP-05. Whereas Stereophile measured 15.3/13.8 dB SE/BAL, the Cary website today has the gain as 17/24 dB SE/BAL (16/12 dB SE/BAL declared by Cary at the time of the review 10 years ago).

Makes one wonder if the SLP-05 today sounds anything like the one auditioned by Art Dudley over 10 years ago.

Cheers,
John
I have a Cary SLP-05. I've used it with over 20 different amps. Never an issue. Worked great with them all. Sounds absolutely DEVASTATING. I've heard many of the big tickets preamps. It's as good as any, and in some ways better. It is an total steal, and competes, or sometimes beats 20-30k preamps.

Agreed-
I have never read a bad review of the Cary SLP-05.  It is liked by many, many Audiophiles.
Well I disagree with a prior comment concerning ' avoiding the Krell Phantom as being overpriced'. My personal experience is that it's a phenomenal pre with build quality and cosmetics commensurate with its price in this crazy audio world. Most of the high end gear appears to be overpriced to me..Obviously you would have to buy it used as now discontinued. There's one listed on AGON for 10k. I bought mine on the advice of a head Agostino guy(prior Krell Sr mgt) saying the two box Phanthom was something very special. I'm using mine with a Momentum stereo amp to great effect. One caveat. I'm assuming the criticism from the prior post was about the two box Phantom. Just my biased opinion of course. 

FWIW, I used a Krell FPB 200c with an SLP 05 with no problems at all. I did not have the capacitor jumpers on the amp side for use with a tube preamp engaged at all.

It worked fine and sonically added some midrange fullness and body.

I think you should be fine using the SLP 05 with the 302e