Went To Best Buy Yesterday...

and conversed with an employee who seemed know a thing or two. I asked about the new sets that display the "Soap Opera" effect and asked if it it could be turned off. He said all LED/LCD's have this and that it couldn't be eliminated and that it was a result of the 120/240 hz thing.

He also said if you do turn it off that the set would display@60 hz. It turns out that most of the employees have plasma's.
128x128tabl10s
Just a few comments having an older non-120hz set, a newer Samsung set with 120 and a plasma. Overall in my opinion Plasma is the best outhere today if you don't have a super-bright room with direct sunlight. If you do and that's how you watch TV then an LCD/LED with anti-reflective coating may trump things.

Secondly you can turn off the soap opera effect in the samsungs and most every set I know of. I have never heard that it is permanently on. Personally I find the resulting effect really bothersome. When it kicks in full swing the image just looks bizarre. You can tone down how bad it is in the advanced picture settings. I haven't necessarily found any setting that will make it equal to a plasma.

So my advice is if you can get a plasma. Do it. Just went with a friend to Costco and got the Panasonic $600 50" plasma. Set it up and did basic calibration and the picture is beyond stunning. Yea its not Pioneer Kuro black, but it is beautiful. Give me even an entry levelPlasma any day of the week.

Just my thoughts and experience

Theo
120Hz has nothing to do with the resolution of the image, only the frames. So yes, you will still have HD or full HD (whatever source and TV) can support)