Hi Resolution download - question on authencity of the files

Hello all,
I have never downloaded a hi-rez album till date.
I recently heard samples of Norah Jones Day Breaks album and was thinking of purchasing the hi-rez album via acousticsounds.com or hdtracks.com or prostudiomasters.com. Question is - are these REAL hi-rez files or are these just up-sampled CD version? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am currently listening to "Celtic Woman - A New Journey" and the recording on this CD is superb. I wondered how much the "quality" of such a nicely recorded album can be improved. Hence the question. I am not sure if the FLAC 96kHz/24bit version is a real one that I would be able to distinguish from a CD 16/44 version.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
128x128milpai
I have purchased about 15 high res from hdtraks. I frankly do not like any of them and a few compare unfavorably to my ripped files from cd - for example, two rem albums. it could be me or my system but thats my experience. 
skoczylas,
Can you please elaborate on "compare unfavorably"? Are the downloads harsh or cold sounding? Your system seems pretty good to be able to resolve thee files.

sevs,
You use an older Wadia which are considered the best CD playback, by some folks. So I have no doubt you like CDs. Maybe you should get a $$$$ DAC to beat it :-)
Correct - the downloaded high res files are very etched sounding and hard to listen to. also they seem to lack bass. i purchased them all from known online companies. 

I use macbook - audirvanna - a rega dac and also a halide hd dac, to hegel h200 to tannoy hpd speakers or tekton lore s speakers.

the files i compared to my ripped cds to are: u2 joshua tree, u2 october, rem automatic for the people, rem document, miles davis kind of blue and two van morrison albums. 
After a few high profile scandals, HD tracks claims they scan all their files to ensure you are getting what you pay for.

I'm coming to believe the difference in sound between CD and hi rez has more to do with players than with data.

Some modern DACs play CD much better, so there's little or no audible difference. Of course, many insist on saying that these DAC's are inferior becuase the high rez signals should sound better.  I'm not in that camp, but buy what you like. :)

Erik
Also, I like the work of Blue Coast Records more than anything else right now. I encourage you to buy from them.

Best,

Erik