Putting together a system...looking for some suggestions

Hey...I'm looking for some suggestions on a system.  I have about a $4k budget and need speakers, an integrated amp, a DAC, and a bluetooth receiver.  I prefer, if possible, that the DAC have built in bluetooth...but it's not critical.

Here are the two system options I have in mind:

1) Rogue Sphinx, Arcam irDAC, GoldenEar Triton Three+

-or-

2) Peachtree Nove 150, GoldenEar Triton Three+

I'm leaning heavily towards option 2.  I will add a higher quality record player in the future, but for now I plan to use my Audio Technica that I have had for years.  The only other speakers I have seriously considered are the ELAC UniFi F5.  I'd prefer not to have to get a sub, which is one of the reasons that the Triton is appealing.

The system is just for music, and will be in a decent sized room approx 15'x30' with 7.5' ceilings.  Most of my music will be coming from Rhapsody, Pandora, ITunes, etc.  

Any thoughts on what I am looking at, or alternate suggestions?

derekbyron
Have you heard the speakers you are thinking about?

Will you be putting the speakers far away from rear and side walls?

Room treatment?
I recommend buying used - you can double the value of your system options, and I believe at $4k you can see a material improvement in overall system components, particularly WRT speakers.  You should have a few good options on the integrated for between $800 - $1,500.  I just upgraded from a Marantz PM-8005 to a PM-11S3, but the 8005 was excellent in its own right and has both a great phono preamp (MM only) and headphone stage.  These are $1,200 new, but regularly show up for $700-$800 used.  

I am a fan of Focal speakers, but have seen lots of good used options offered for under $2K.  Theer is a pair of Triton 2's for sale on Audiogon for $1,800 ( I have no relation to seller).  I would STRONGLY recommend auditioning any speaker before buying as the SQ at this price point vary significantly.

I can't really audition too many speakers.  I just don't have the time on the weekends to drive an hour or two to hear a set of speakers...and then drive an hour or two the following weekend to hear another.  I'm doubtful that I would accurately remember what they even sounded like for it to be a meaningful comparison.  I'm going to have to gamble a bit and order these unheard.  

I was just looking at the Zu website and noticed they have a 60 day approval period.  That might be a safer way to buy without hearing first. Spatial M3's also have been on my list, although not sure if they offer a trial period.

Of all the reviews that I have read, it seems like the GoldenEar speakers are universally thought to be pretty great.  I've read very few negative comments.  They seem like they might be the safest bet to order unheard.

As far as the room, there are no acoustic treatments.  It's a living room with a very large, sound absorbing sectional sofa, hardwood floors and a pair of Barcelona chairs.  The speakers will sit about 12" from the back wall, at least a couple feet from the side walls.  

Yeah, I think that GE and B&W are speakers you really MUST audition for yourself. They are not to my ears, or any measurements, neutral. I’m not saying you should not like them. Especially important to listen to them in space and at the volume you expect to listen. Personally, and this is VERY rough, i'd put their tonal balance close to the Thiels while Thiel was still around.

Consider room treatment first. Reach out to GIK for adivce. This will make the room more speaker friendly. Room treatment will outlast any other purchases and make you happier with a wider variety.

And please, no flames. Buy what you like, and call neutral whatever you want. I'm really just saying I think these speakers should be heard ahead of time.

Best,

Erik
Erik makes some great points. As I have said before to posters like yourself, you should put in some time going to local dealers and get a sense of what you like/dislike. I understand your trepidation that you won't  'accurately remember what they even sounded like', but trust me, you will get a good indication of the 'sound' you like.
Sjtm also recommended buying used, which is something I agree with too. Especially the amp/pre and peripherals. You will save a bunch of money which can be put to obtaining higher quality gear.
FWIW, I heard the GoldenEar speakers, and have to say I wasn't impressed, despite the fact that they are highly rated. YMMV