Best Capacitors for Crossovers

I am now in the tweaking stage of trying different caps in my crossovers for my DIY homemade 2 way. I presently have and will soon try a 5.6uf 800 vdc +/- 2% Jantzen Audio Silver Z-cap.

I see that Mundorf, V Cap get a lot of accolades, and the Dueland are quite pricey.

Does anyone have a favorite?

I am trying to cross over at about 4500HZ at 6db.

128x128ozzy

Well, I received a replacement cap this morning, and this time no solder. It works!

But, as usual the sound is kinda bright. But there are some very good quality's. It's been quite a while since I have had new woofers, tweeters, crossover, wire etc. Any idea how long it will take for my Frankenstein project to sound it's best before I move on to a different arrangement?

I also have seen some breakers designed to reset after an overload event. Are these worth installing before the cap or tweeter?

About 2-3 days of continuous play.

You may be better taking this thread over to DIYAudio where you can post images like schematics and measurements.

Best,

ERik
Please let me know the components you are using. What caps and resistors etc.  This will help me better tell you what to expect and break in based on my experience with these various parts and brands.

Grannyring,

*The Tweeter that is used =

Aurum Cantus G2Si Ribbon Tweeter, 6 ohms.

Highlights

• High 96 dB sensitivity is great for efficient designs
  • Excellent high-frequency extension, can be used as a supertweeter
  • Extremely fast transient response allows reproduction of the finest details
  • Smooth and effecient frequency response from 1,700 to over 20,000 Hz

http://www.parts-express.com/aurum-cantus-g2si-ribbon-tweeter--276-400

*Capacitor that is used=

5.6uf 800 vdc +/- 2% Jantzen Audio Silver Z-cap.

*The Inductor that is used =

Jantzen Cross Coil Copper foil .27mh, 99.99 pure copper windings, 14 gauge, 500 watt rms

*Woofer that is used =

6.5 inch mid bass/midrangeWoofer.

This speaker is rated at 150RMS. It produces solid mid-bass and midrange response.

This woofer has an impressive frequency range of 60hz-7000hz.).

• 1’’ Kapton voice coil Stamped steel basket Strong black paper cone Cloth edge Suspension
  • Bumped & vented pole piece
  • 8 ohm impedance
  • 30 oz. magnet

Specifications: • Power handling: 150 watts RMS/400 watts max

• VCdia: 1" •

Impedance: 8 ohms

• Frequency response: 60-7,000 Hz

• Fs: 94.3 Hz

• SPL: 88.5 dB 1W/1m

• Vas: 0.15 cu. ft.

• Qms: 2.97

• Qes: 1.27

• Qts: 0.89

• Xmax: 6.5 mm

• Magnet weight: 30 oz.

*No resistors.

Nice! Well that tweeter matched with that particular cap will give a very detailed sound that will certainly start off hot sounding. The Jantzen silver cap is known to be very detailed and tipped up in the highs. Even after burn in that personality will prevail. 

I have had great luck matching ribbon tweeters with copper foil caps from the likes of Jupiter. I had that combo with Raal ribbon tweeters and it was wonderful. I think burn in will be closer to at least 100-150 hours to be honest.