Best Capacitors for Crossovers

I am now in the tweaking stage of trying different caps in my crossovers for my DIY homemade 2 way. I presently have and will soon try a 5.6uf 800 vdc +/- 2% Jantzen Audio Silver Z-cap.

I see that Mundorf, V Cap get a lot of accolades, and the Dueland are quite pricey.

Does anyone have a favorite?

I am trying to cross over at about 4500HZ at 6db.

128x128ozzy

Concerning the new ClarityCap CMR and CSA ranges, it would be a conflict of interest to comment on their performance relative to other brands. However, it seems fair to mention that these models are qualitatively different from other metalized film capacitors with respect to their copper litz end caps. This contrasts with other metalized film caps(e.g. Mundorf, Solen) that use traditional tin-zinc end spray to bridge the metal film layers at the capacitor ends. End sprays atomize and oxidize upon deposition, forming grain boundaries of variable impedance and phase anomalies that worsen with diameter. The performance advantage of a copper end relative to tin-zinc increases with diameter. This particularly favors use in applications involving higher capacitance and larger dimensions as found in crossovers.

I just finished replacing 6uf and 17uf MR with CMR in my much-modified Merlin VSMs. This was a big step up.

ClarityCap OEM Sales

Thank you all for your opinions and suggestions for web site reviews. They have been very helpful. I will try to obtain some of the caps suggested for comparison.

Question:

For a tighter connection, I soldered with silver solder silver spades to the cap leads. After everything is connected, one of the caps does not work!

Now, I don’t know if the cap was dead from the get-go.

But, can the heat from the use of the soldering iron ruin the cap?

While I admire technology, I believe in results. I can take pretty much any DAC chip, put it on a circuit board and make it sound like garbage. Same for most technology. Beryllium tweeters, AMT, etc. can be implemented well and poorly.

I think knowing about the capacitor tech is good, but results are results.

And as always, let your own ears be the judge, not me nor a website.

Best,

Erik

Hey @dgarretson

When will CSA range become available in the US?

I'm happy to note the CMR is already orderable from Parts Connexion.

Best,

Erik
Ozzy,

Possible but unlikely.  Avoid shortening the leads, and make sure your iron is hot enough, and the tip wide enough.

Melting solder should take like 5 seconds or less! If you are sitting there for half a minute waiting for solder to melt, then yes, you could definitely have injured the cap.