Top Five rock Bass players

1 John Entwistle
2 Jack Bruce 
3 John Paul Jones
4 Geddy Lee
5 Paul McCartney
6 Glen Hughes

OK it's six but I saw Hughes with Trapeze and Deep Purple. And one magic night in Abilene Texas he played note for note with Tommy Bolin so I give him Honable mention. 

128x128lenmc2964
Hard to argue with anybody's list of "best" since at a certain level, some of it comes down to personal preference/playing style. Some of the folks mentioned (Willie Dixon, Carol Kaye) are legendary.
 I've heard some of the others mentioned over the years (including the great Ray Brown back in the day) , but one of the "best" bassists (aside from my buddy Rob Stoner, who is extremely musical) is a guy that remains a mystery; he was backing Little Richard a few years ago. LR said he used to employ two bass players until he found this guy. He wasn't credited, and there was nothing on the web to identify him either. He was playing counterpoint against himself. (Show at BBKings in NYC within the last 5 years). I was with Stoner, who commented that the guy was "a hired killer." 
I also love the sound of double bass, compared to electric- more common in the early days of rock 'n roll, before the electric bass became ubiquitous. Caught James Hunter a month or so ago, and his bassist was playing a double bass- I had forgotten how much tone and upper harmonics you get with the real acoustic instrument. Really adds to the drive of the music. 
So many greats mentioned that I eithercdidnt know by name or didn't think of. I'd kikecto add Stuart Hamm and Glen Cornick.