Will changing gain affect frequency response?

NOT talking about increasing the volume at the listening position by turning the volume up...

Rather, with volume kept more or less constant at the listening position, is there some technical reason for things sounding a bit brighter when the pre-amp's gain setting is increased from -10 db to 0 db (again, volume adjusted downward, accordingly) OR is it my imagination?

Think I've encountered this with my pre-amp and most recently by altering the gain setting on my phono pre-amp.  Increasing the gain by moving the jumper to the highest position seems like it opened up the sound from the Grado cart I run.  

Hence the question...will changing gain affect frequency response? 

Thanks in advance.

128x128ghosthouse
In addition to the famous Fltetcher-Munson loudness curves, you don't talk about whether you are running a tube preamp or not.

Tube preamps are sometimes quite sensitive to this, and it has to do with the impedance changing as the resistance in the volume changes. The better tube preamps have buffer stages or volume control configurations that prevent this, but not all.

Best,

Erik
Thanks for the replies so far.

The tube pre-amp (2-6H30s, 1 EZ80 rectifier) is what has a -10 db option. The effect from altering the phono pre gain setting was "heard" in playback using a solid state integrated amp (no tubes involved in that chain).

I’ll check info at those links.

Take away so far, however, is there might be an objective basis for a difference in tone...not just imagination.

hahaha...okay. Started reading Rodman's link.  Didn’t know anything about the Fletcher Munson curve. So, it sounds like there is a well known linkage between volume and perceived frequency response - a psychoacoustic effect, I guess. But let me repeat, what I’m asking about is what might explain an effect on frequency response when the volume at the listening position has been adjusted down ("normalized") to compensate for the increase in gain. Is the F/M response relevant in that situation?