Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
+1 on ctsooner's post. While many Yggdrasil owners want to believe that it's the best DAC in existence, in the real world it provides a good value but is not in the same league with some of the other uber-DACs being discussed on this thread. As long as owners are happy with it that's great, but proclaiming that no DAC at any price can beat it seems a bit optimistic.
Hi Guido- I currently use a Levinson 512 for SACD, but also have a Rowland Aeris Dac, and it's fantastic, however, even more (very slightly) pure and natural sounding to my ears is my newest addition- the Reimyo DAP-999EX Limited dac, and I have done several close comparisons between the two.  Girlfriend has great ears, and she also preferred the Reimyo in a double-blind test.  It's close, but the edge on purity goes to the Reimyo.  

However it's not that easy though- the more I listen to the Aeris, I realize that perhaps it has a more 'complete' control of all frequencies equally with even tighter bass and a simply wonderful complete 'overall' cohesive sound.  So perhaps I give the nod to Aeris as the overall winner, but for certain types of music, the Reimyo is unequivocally superior to my ears, and completely addictive- there is a dare I say a slightly more analog purity to it even over the Aeris (again, on certain types of music), with a complete stripping away of any electronic artefacts.  **Caveat- source comparison is only redbook cd, on a highly modified 47 Labs Flatfish transport, with Oceallia OCC spdif (BNC) digital cable.  

That being said, I have not yet delved into computer audio, so the Aeris with good 24/192 files and a decent music server I am sure will be great, and perhaps the better overall choice, however for spining redbook cd's as source, the nod goes to the Reimyo. The build quality and solidity of the Aeris dac is fantastic, and Rowland gear is Rolex-type audio jewellery (loved my old Concentra).  This is why the (somewhat 'lighter-weight') Reimyo DAP-999EX Limited dac took me completely by surprise.  Both of these dacs are superb, and don't have me longing (quite yet) for the 'panacea' that DSD may provide?  Redbook well implemented can still be completely satisfying- kudos to Jeff Rowland and Reimyo for designing two such superb components...
CH Precision demo was a disappointment. I fed it via Mac Mini optimised with 12V DC supply and SSD inc Audirvana. The C1 sounded too bright and edgy in the treble region for my tastes. Some smooth tracks sounded very good, but way too many AIFFS were too digital and harsh to enjoy as real music IMO. Maybe it sounds better inc the D1 but that takes it up anther 20K!

Keep looking....

Exactly my impression of CH Precision when I heard it at RMAF a couple years ago... Hrd, edgy, with  very displeasing treble on any material that had sostenuto in treble parts of any complexity... To my taste it was unlistenable... I asked the importer if the unit was fresh out of the box and not broken in. I was told in no uncertain terms that CH Precision is so good that it does not need any break-in... The gent continued asserting that CH Precision is so good that I needed to "learn" to appreciate its incredible quality.

Really unfortunate that I have the bad habit of trusting my own ears... Took back my test CD, thanked the gent,  and walked out to enjoy much better sound most everywhere else at the show.

G.   

heard the whole line of CH gear up in NH and I hated it.  I don't love Wilson's to begin with, but they were the worst match up that's for sure.  

I am loving the QX5.  Have heard it a couple of times now and am waiting on mine.  I did hear the optical conversion that we are all talking about in Tampa last week. It was only on the Codex using Audeze LCD 2's and the EL8's (not my favorite can, lol) and also my Noble Savant's (the most neutral IEM/can I've heard to date, but not a bass head IEM, lol) and the sound was outstanding.  I was so impressed with this connection.  It used a hand made LPS (not as good as Empirical's I'm sure) on the end switch and I was blown away at how quiet it was.  It just sounded right.  

I think that like anything else, ti's all about sending the best signal to the DAC or preamp.  Matt started this thread with concern only about redbook.  Of course we are all over the place, but it's still about finding out the top DAC (for Matt) for redbook.  I feel strongly that the Ayre QX-5 needs to be put into the mix with Steven's new OSDX (based on the thoughts on one of you feeling it's the best DAC you've had in your system and you've had some of the best as well as most expensive).  I think based on your hearing, there are probably only a select few that are the 'best sounding DAC for Redbook'.  

My take away from this thread is:

1. Best Redbook DAC
2. Best server/streamer solution going into 'this' DAC
3. Best connection for the server/streamer
4. Best software for YOUR DAC/Server solution as all are different

What have I missed other than cabling and power cords and wood blocks as feet vs anything else as feet, lol.