Speaker - Room/size dilemma

Need some advice. Like many other (married) folks here, I'm trying to find a reasonable balance between room esthetics and sound quality. We listen to music in our living room. It's a 16'X18' room with a two-story ceiling that is almost 20' high. So the room is basically a large cube. The other challenge is the speakers need to be placed along the18' wall, roughly a foot or two away front the side and the back walls, basically near the corners since we have a fireplace in the middle of that wall. The couch will be about 15' away from the speakers. All in all, the speakers and the main listening position form a 15' equilateral triangle. I guess I'll need  to look for high dispersion speakers with good off-axis sound quality. Almost the opposite of what I have in there now which are ML Aerius i speakers. I still have the pair of Definitive Technologies BP20 speakers which I had originally purchased for this room and I think they better fit that application but I really prefer the clarity and focus of the MLs albeit with a much more constrained sweet spot. The MLs are being driven by a McIntosh MC2200 and I have the Def. Techs in another (smaller) room hooked up to a Vincent SP-331 hybrid amplifier. My bottom line question is what would be a decent option for this cubical size room, trying to stay within a $3K budget. The bi-polar design speakers seem to meet most of the requirements but sound a bit diffused to my taste. Anyone has experience with the newer/slimmer Def. Tech. tower models? What about the Magnepan 1.7? Thanks in advance. 

128x128kalali
Kalali, the Magneplanar's require at a minimum 3' of space between them and the wall behind them, 5' being even better. Lots of better-halfs don't care for that! If you want to go dipolar, with the volume of your room the 3.7 will be better at filling the room than will the 1.7. You might be able to find a used pair of 3.7's for your target price of $3k. An alternative is the Eminent Technology LFT-8b at $2499, also a magnetic-planar dipole, but with a sealed cone woofer for frequencies below 180Hz.
@infection

Not a bad idea, they do play very nicely in a corner, but have kind of a "classic speaker" sound to them, which may be just what the OP wants. :)

Best,

Erik