Trafomatic Audio Luna LCR phonostage

These days I am looking into tube phono stages a lot. Especially phonostages which are within $5-6k and that can serve in a serious high end system. While I know that solid state phonostages have traditionally been known for their low noise and high dynamic presentation, I still believe that harmonics that tubes preserve (and SS throw away) can be a great asset to the end result i.e music. And if well designed tubes can do low noise and high dynamic range too.

I know that an all-tube 70db phono gain is a steep challenge and while there are manufacturers who have attempted it (e.g Aesthetix, NVO), the response from the users have been mixed. I am more for the conventional approach of using a top quality tube MM stage with a top quality SUT (matched to the cartridge) or FET stage. In this realm there are not many serious options in the $5k range if I look around. The few that I have looked at are:

Allnic H1500 II SE
Luxman EQ-500
EAR 88PB
Herron VTPH-2 
Leben RS-30EQ

Then there are some full function tube preamps which do have very competitive in-built phonostages like the Shindo Masseto, Manley Steelhead, CAT Ultimate etc.

Here is another one that looks like very good contender for a top quality tube phonostage in this budget:
http://www.trafomaticaudio.com/products/luna/

An LCR design using an all-out tube design with interstage transformers and output transformers, so absolutely no capacitor in the path. MC stage is handled by Lundahl 1941 amorphous cobalt core SUTs. This looks like a no compromise assault for this price category. I have not yet heard it but whenever I have heard Trafomatic products I have always come back with a smile. They have been consistently balanced and musical without any typical voicing artifacts. They never sounded like a product that has been hastily put together or built out of a garage. For a tube amp I have never heard them having any hum or noise issues. In fact I have always found his amps to have a very matured sound. In that regards this is a phono stage I am excited about. If anyone gets an opportunity to hear them, do share your thoughts here.
pani
@pani Have a look at the ModWright PH-150 reference tube phono stage. It’s a contender fairly close to your price range and definitely works superbly with my Dynavector LOMC cartridge. I chose this unit over the Herron and Manley.

As a low-tech guy, I appreciate the convenience of ModWright’s front-panel adjustment of loading parameters. It’s built to a high standard, looks fantastic, and sounds great.
Tom, I think I said this before, but judging from your follow-up post, you did not "receive" my message.  I keep an open mind on transformers in audio.  I don't necessarily think interstage transformers are "bad", but perhaps that is the audio transformer function of which I am most skeptical.  In my response, I was merely pointing out that some who know more about the advantages and disadvantages of IS transformers than I do have written about the disadvantages, and I was influenced by what I have read.  But this hasn't caused me to dismiss the idea. t would be eager to hear your phono stage any time.

Pani, I know what a SUT does. However, the SUT will affect the impedance seen by the cartridge according to the square of the turns ratio.  So, if your SUT is providing a 1:10 voltage step-up, then the impedance seen by the cartridge running into a SUT in series with a typical MM phono stage will be 470R (47,000 ohms divided by 100).  My point was that lately I have been finding that I like to run my LOMC cartridges into more like a 47K ohm load (i.e., unloaded).  To achieve that with a 1:10 SUT, I would need a 4.7M resistor across the secondaries.  Since that resistor also serves as the grid resistor of the input tube, problems with grid current might be created by using such a large value grid resistance.  (It would probably work OK with certain tubes, but not all.) Also, I do not agree that using a SUT necessarily avoids problems related to "ringing" that might otherwise be encountered if using an active gain stage with an LOMC (unless that gain stage is intrinsically flawed in design).  There's a nice white paper on using Zobel networks to tame the response with SUTs, on the Jensen website.

I was interested to read your thoughts on the Herron. I've never heard one, but as you know, there are many devoted users here.

Lynn Olson did a study of the harmonic spectrum of different coupling techniques. His results might be of interest to those curious about IT transformers.
The smooth fall-off of harmonics is especially noteworthy in the transformer-coupled circuit - the reason for the excitement about the naturalness and "directness" of transformer coupling is obvious when looking at the spectral data. This is the best distribution of harmonics I've seen — looking almost exactly like an RCA "textbook" distribution of spectral content.
http://http//www.nutshellhifi.com/library/FindingCG.html

Disclaimer: My phono pre., line stage, and power amps are all transformer coupled - input and output.
Lewm, there are also phono stages like the 47 Labs phonocube which does not load the cart at all. I guess when we change the playing field in terms of coupling the cart to the phono, "loading" behaves differently.