Parasound p5 vs avr ???????

I just purchased a parasound a21 and was planning on letting my marantz 7008 do the preamp duty . How much better would the parasound p5 be ??? Is it light years better or just marginal ?
nesto719
OH, right, forgot. I was having this same issue a couple of years ago and talked to Mr. Shram via e-mail. He gave me the impression that the DAC built into the P5 was just a utility, and that the DAC in the integrated was much better.  I ended up going with a P7 with an external DAC.

The P5 is really a basic performer. If that's what you want for the price, it will do just that. However you mentioned you were looking for improvement, so I wouldn't recommend it to be all that for you. 

If all you need is a DAC with volume, the Parasound VDAC V.2 is a better sounding package.  Around $400 right now, but it has no analog inputs.

For around $1,000 new (Direct only), the Mytek Stereo 192 DAC has 1 set of analog inputs and a very good DAC with DSD capabilities.

There are probably other more capable DAC/Pre's out there you should look at as well.

Best,

Erik
I was wanting a good preamp that would sound better than using my marantz 7008 and something that has bass control and h/t bypass . Do you think the marantz will fit the bill vs the p5 instead ?
Never heard the Marantz, so I can't tell you.  Loved their old remotes though. :)

But if the choice is a P5 or nothing, I'd say nothing. :) Keep your money in your pocket for something better.  P7's used show up for not much more.

Best,

Erik
Not sure where you're getting this info about the P5, Eric.  Are you basing it on your own experience with the P5?  

I've got the P7 myself and was debating the P5 when I found a used P7.  I did much research on the P5 and never heard or read anything critical of it for the price.  The Parasound Classic 2100 is the basic performer here, not the P5.  The 2100 is again quite nice sounding for the price, and the P5 is a good step up from that.  The P7, though quite good, employs op amps  and not discrete circuits.