What's the deal with idler turntables and do they have a place in modern HiFi?

After going through a complete overhaul of an AR XA I've been tempted to take a step further back in history and restore an old Rek-O-Kut idler turntable. Can't remember the particular model number from Craigslist, but it seems like it may be an interesting project and far more customizable than the XA, especially when it come to the tonearm. The one I'm looking at comes with the original tonearm, but my guess is that it's even more garbage than the stock XA 'arm and I'd certainly replace it!

However, I don't generally become invested in something if it doesn't pay off. So if the sound is going to be dreadful because it's an idler, then I'll steer clear. But if the sound is bitchin' then I'll jump on the opportunity!
128x128mjperry96
Theoretically, idler drives have better speed control because belts have a stretch component that varies the platter.  In the old days I had a Rek0kut table with a Grado lab arm and his top of the line cartridge of the day....it was belt drive.
I know several people with systems well north of $100k that have Thorens 124s and Garrard 301 and 401 tables in them.  When properly reconditioned, these can be terrific sounding--quite punchy and dynamic sounding.  I have no idea whether it is the method of drive, the use of high torque motors or some other characteristic apart from the drive method that gives these tables their particular sound, but, in any event they certain can be great in the right system.
Only theoretically idler drives have better speed control, but practically they're not. The idler wheel grinds out quite quick over the motor spindle and certainly changes the speed. All of the motor vibrations directly transferred onto the platter.  The best speed control have quartz direct drive turntables.