What is more accurate: magnetic anti-skating, or barrel weight attached a fishline?

I have seen turntables from Project, Music Hall, and a few other brands that still incorporate a small barrel weight attached to short fishline string which is stretched across a hooking loop to set ANTI-SKATING. It seems to be an artifact from the 1960's and 1970's tonearm design. It is also easy to lose or break 

My question is how accurate is that "device" compared to magnetic anti-skating employed by many turntable manufacturers   Thank you

sunnyjim
I’m unaware of any standard or measurement for anti-skating that allows the notion of accuracy to apply universally across different tonearms.

Check this thread for some great information on the topic of anti-skating:
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/do-45-rpm-records-need-higher-anti-skate-setting?highlight=lp%2Brecords

By the way, could you say a few turntable (tonearm?) manufacturers that offer magnetic anti-skating? 

The most accurate anti-skate provision is  provided by Sony

PUA 237/286. By this provision the anti-skate force is different

depending from the record radius. Neither later Sony tonearms nor any other manufacturer has copied this ingenious invention. Very strange because the usual kinds with equal force at any radius is obviously inadequate.

Nandric,
I think a magnetic set-up could provide for variation of the force with respect to the radius of the LP, depending upon how it is implemented. So, since there are many tonearms that use magnetic methods, why is the Sony so much better?

To the OP, Since the skating force is varying constantly along the surface of the LP, is a moving target that you can never hit with confidence, there is no point in getting worked up over the exactitude of the anti-skate force.

Salectric, I have a Triplanar, and I have listened to it with no AS.  In my system, I hear a pronounced and obvious distortion in the R channel especially. This is cured by re-application of a very small amount of AS. From this I concluded that the Triplanar, or my Triplanar, sounds best with a very small amount of AS.  I know that Doug Deacon and some others also expounded upon the evils of the Triplanar AS device, that it introduced some spurious resonances, but I don't hear that problem, either, so long as all the attaching screws are tight as possible.
Why is everyone so fixed on Anti-Skate?   I use no antiskate at all and find the sound more open and free than when I use antiskate...but it really makes little difference....the use or non use is equally wrong....it is impossible to properly set for antiskate....the force is very slight and is constantly changing. 

Dear Lew, Your premise about magnetic anti-skate provision

is questionable and this imply that your conclusions are also questionable.

I own the Reed 3 P and Lustre 801 both with magnetic anti-skate provisions. There may be some reduction of the magnetic force towards the inner grooves but this is different from the Sony provision which is calculated for the whole record radius. But, like you, I use the minimal anti-skate for my Triplanar and FR-64 S.

The (possible) distortion in the right channel is the indication that at least some anti-skate is needed.