ok im opening pandoras box here.(treatment vs framed wall art)

So i am in a dedicated 2:1 room and am treating it for sound ,it is very bright. Although I enjoy having a selection of framed pictures on my wall they vibrate and ring.I see so many unreal setups in the forum with a ton of pics on the walls. How are you mellowing the room down with 15 glass framed pics on your wall? .I realize its a battle between form and function but ...
Thanks 
128x128oleschool
While we’re on the subject of unconventional room treatments can I offer up the following for your consideration? Crystals for addressing sound pressure peaks in the room, DIY Helmholtz resonators using the Helmholtz formula to calculate the nozzle diameter and length and resonator volume for the frequency of interest, Shun Mook Mpingo disc, removing (resonating) objects in the room that interfere with the sound such as beer bottles, CD jewel cases, musical instruments, chest of drawers, that sort of thing. Here's a flashback: one or more medium-large size box filled with crumpled up newspapers in each corner of the room. A cheap man's tube trap?

g. k.
machina dynamica
we do artificial atoms right!

Speaking of opening Pandora’s box, while almost everyone and his brother would probably agree glass resonates and that glass windows and glass framed pictures and just ordinary drinking glasses in the room might not be a good idea sound quality wise, what isn’t well known is that the pictures themselves hurt the sound. Especially if the pictures are of people, birds of prey, predators such as lions or tigers or sharks, military aircraft, things of that nature; in other words, things that could easily represent a threat to the listener, consciously or subconsciously. Thus, if you remove all pictures, even ones you might deem innocuous, from the listening room and invite your friend over to listen to the system he will hear a marked improvement to the sound. This will be the case even if the pictures are NOT covered by glass. For best results pictures should be taken entirely outside the house since they can still affect the sound even if they’re in other rooms.

The pictures on your wall are vibrating in response and sympathy to your room's 3 primary resonate frequencies being excited or over pressurized 

Every room has 3 primary resonate frequencies based on the room's physical dimensions between the parallel walls for it's height .. width and length  

When excessive pressure builds up at these specific frequencies the wall or walls will vibrate shaking your pictures along with other items placed in your room such as a drinking glasses or pictures placed  on a table or  shelf

Your room operates in two completely different states or conditions above and below the rooms transition point also known as the Schroder frequency 

Above your room's transition point the frequencies coming from your speakers act as RAYs or BEAMs of LIGHT and project from your speakers in a straight line until they come into contact with a solid object ... there they are reflected 

The frequencies above the transition point behave this way because their length peak to peak physically fits with in the room's dimensions 

Frequencies below the room's transition point are to long peak to peak and WILL NOT physically fit within the rooms dimension so instead of behaving like RAYS they pressurize the room instead of bouncing around it  

Lets say for sake of argument that your room was 7x12x18 ... your room's 3 primary resonate frequencies would be 80hz x 47hz x 31hz based on those dimensions ... anytime your system generated one of these frequencies or notes it would excite the corresponding wall based on the room's dimension and primary resonate frequency point

You have two issues to deal with ... the vibrating pictures can be reduced by employing a 3 channel parametric EQ ... here you would first identify the primary resonate room frequencies and reduce the excessive pressure build up by placing a cut at that frequency ... this would reduce the energy at that frequency and reduce wall vibrations and lessen the picture rattling 

The brightness could be caused by a number of things including your equipment make up ... but if you move the pictures out of the first reflection point of the speakers ... you may be able to reduce some of the brightness 

Don't forget in addition to the side wall first reflection points (which most are aware of ) you also have first reflection points at the back wall .. front wall and ceiling and floor 

As I doubt you have any pictures placed or hanging on the ceiling or floor I would look to relocate the pictures on the side wall back wall and front wall from the speaker's first reflection point 

The problem is a bit more complicated and not quite as clean and clear cut as I've presented it ... there is a ZONE of TRANSITION that is between the  Schroder Frequency where the frequencies begin to transition between being RAYs to PRESSURIZING the room that is very tricky Zone to deal with ... also Echo Slap parallel to speakers and seating position between the two parallel side walls and also front and back walls should not have pictures placed at that point

Understanding how and why your room behaves is the first step in trying to correct the problems cause d by it

Enter your text ...
davehrab
337 posts
07-24-2016 12:11pm
"The pictures on your wall are vibrating in response and sympathy to your room's 3 primary resonate frequencies being excited or over pressurized

Every room has 3 primary resonate frequencies based on the room's physical dimensions between the parallel walls for it's height .. width and length....etc., etc.,"

the vibration theory of the pictures can be easily dispensed with by performing the experiment of removing the pictures from the room fir a headphone based system, you know, one that won't excite the pictures to vibrate. The other way to test the effects of pictures in the room is tape photos of the pictures to the wall. That way you can eliminate the pictures vibrating theory.

cheers

See if you have slap echo
chap your hands sharply and listen for tinny echo

I find corner treatment placements work best
Real Traps and GIK are great sources

back wall absorbtion

GIK does art panels with professional photographs via sites like photostock or your own higher rez image. I have 3 nice pieces

i also use stretched cloth / canvas artwork - works nice, just enough absorption. You can hang a lot of art with neutral sound influence
art.com has thousands of great works

too much sound treatment and your system can sound like mud.

All the best in your journey