Sopra No.2 Overpriced?

Really interested in purchasing a pair, good bang for the buck or overpriced when compared to speakers at similar price point?

What do the Sopra No.2 owners think? Pleased with your purchase/investment?

Hope to hear a pair at the upcoming AXPONA event in Chicago.

Thanks.

toneranger58
I believe the Sopra line is made in France, although its likely that some components are sourced from other countries.

As for the value aspect, Focal stated this speaker would provide the best value in high end audio. While it may very well be one the better values, not quite sure I would have given it the class leader. In my book, it would require it to either meet or exceed all speakers nearby or below its pricing. Something I feel it doesn't accomplish across the board.

Even with that said, this level of performance cost considerably more just few years back. This progress is certainly very welcome and I'm glad they create more than statement pieces.

Now it depends on if you enjoy their sound profile and if works in synergy with your room, gear, and listening preferences.
Eric,
Back in the late 70's, early 80's I worked in high end audio, back when Yamaha was a "more exclusive" brand.  One week, some folks from Yamaha corporate visited and one of their chief engineers said that, to put a model into production, it had to have a retail price that was 10x their cost of the components and assembly costs.  On the surface, that sounds like a HUGE markup, but you'd need to add the costs for R&D, packaging, shipping, promotion, service support, and of course, some profit for the local distributor and dealer.  At the time, Yamaha had "44 points" in it (if you paid your bills promptly), for the dealer, an item with a $100 retail price cost the store $56 (plus shipping).  Speakers typically had at least "50 points" in them, some even more.
Ejr:

That makes perfect sense to me. :)  Now imagine if you could build your own, what kind of speakers you could afford. :)

Best,

Erik
erik

that works apart from the R&D. Add up the countless hours spent on R&D and please add them to your single speaker design...then something ike the sopra 2 would become very expensive and you on your lonesome likely would not 'build' them for many many years.

even trying to implement the tweeter the way the sopra line does....long time. Make your own driver surrounds for  a single pair of speakers...your concept falls apart pretty quickly. Sorry.
Post removed