Best type of Sub to consider?

I'm not looking for a brand or model recommendation at this time, but rather the best type of sub to fit my room and system. If you access my System pics, you will see that I have open corners behind my speakers and that my Horning speakers are rear ported. This has caused some energy loss, especially in the bass when compared to my previous setup in my other home.

I am a newbie to subs and see different design types that fire up, down, up and down, and forward. There may be other variations. So, does any of this matter when applying the best design type to a room, my room? My knee-jerk reaction is to go with forward firing in my situation, but that's complete speculation on my part, so why I'm asking.
Kenny
kennythekey
Kenny, you most likely will get as many differing opinions as Carter has pills (as in most audio related subjects). If you can find a dealer for JL Audio, and have a look/listen to them, and try to get a home trial.

That would be my first thought, but there are about as many manufacturers of subs these days as there are of speakers.

Or, you can try the trial-and-error method of buying used, try it out, if it's not your cup of tea, sell it and try a different one. That's a hassle, so a dealer try-out is most likely your best bet. 

You received some good advice regarding speaker placement, placing your Hornings closer to side/rear walls may reinforce the bass enough for you without a sub.

Good luck on your search,
Regards,
Dan
If mainly for two channel I would go with a sealed design ...but I would try it with your speaker ports plugged and unplugged.
onhwy61 - No choice, I do not have two closed corners anywhere in the house, except one tiny bedroom. What you see, is my only option. One advantage to this setup, is that my detail has gone up a couple of notches. Subwoofers were recommended by my Horning dealer, but he does not sell them.

Dan - Thanks, Yes my forward firing option that I had mentioned, was based on the JL Audio subs that I was checking out. However, I'm trying to avoid brand recommendations, and get down to the physics and applications for the different types of subs.So, regardless of brand name, does one firing direction have an advantage over another or not. And, which one would work best in my setup, if any? That's all I want to know.
Kenny

I agree with ricred1.
 A sealed design will provide better bass accuracy than a ported one.
Looking at your room, have you considered adding acoustic treatments?