Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Some one very interesting comments, Alex; and, one very provocative one.  

****As for me, I have noticed that more and more I listen or serch music from West coast, but there are lot of reasons to be considered why.****

That is really not surprising given the emphasis that you put on tone.  GENERALLY speaking, West Coast players, particularly those of the "cool" school, play(ed) with a kind of tone that is...lets say, gentler, softer in texture, less hard.  But, I think that it's important to remember that this is not necessariy considered, in absolute terms, a "better" tone, but simply different.  After all, how can one argue against the tone produced by, for instance, Phil Woods who many consider to have had one of the greatest and most "developed" alto saxophone tones ever; albeit, far more aggressive and "harder" than most West Coast players.  The music itself is also, generally speaking, "softer", more relaxed and not as hard driving as other styles.  However, and as always, there is much more to it than this.  The "tone" of a player, as important as that is, does not determine the QUALITY OF THE MUSIC that he makes.  To make matters even more interesting, you have players like the great Joe Henderson who play in a hard-bop style with a tone that is "softer" and without the edge that most hard-bop tenor players have.  Analogy: a person who is soft spoken and never raises his voice, but can be very sarcastic and disagreeable with the CONTENT of what he says.  I think that, ultimately, it is the content of what the person says that is most important.  We are obviously speaking in generalities and I also think that a distinction needs to be made between individual instrumental tone and the general sound of, for instance, electric instruments.  But, broadly speaking, all this gives insights into and partly explains a person's likes and dislikes.  

****I believe that 'taste' of music shows more about one's essence of personal existence than it can be simply described with few words.Somehow expirience teach me that often one's estechical choice determine his ethical.( there are exceptions, of course, on both sides)****

That is a very interesting and provocative comment.  I would like more details about what you mean by the connection between aesthetic choice and ethics.  

Thanks for some very interesting topics of discussion.
On the Lyle Mays record:

I've had a copy of this for many years and for a two or three month period, the Alaskan Suite was my go to music. 

Whether or not it's jazz is a good question.  When I bought my copy it was in the jazz section where it probably belonged.  But it could have been equally at home in the modern classical section. 

I always sort of found the album to be jazz musicians playing a classically arranged piece on jazz instruments. 

In other words I don't really know.  What I do know is that I like the music quite a bit. 

Alex and Frogman on Alex: " I believe that 'taste' of music shows more about one's essence of personal existence than it can be simply described with few words.Somehow expirience teach me that often one's estechical choice determine his ethical.( there are exceptions, of course, on both sides)"

I once heard someone describe music as a "ladder for the soul."  Over the years I've thought about that comment many times and find myself agreeing with it more and more.  A ladder goes both up and down. (insert big grin here)

Bob
Frogman, will explain what I meant, I just need to catch a little time, after the weekend. In meantime, another sax player whose tone I like. Album is recorded in 1956. Al Cohn ’Cohn on the Saxaphone’...

https://youtu.be/w9v4k7nhvy8

https://youtu.be/zmao_Br3li4