Music server

I have a Cary Audio MS1 music server that the harddrive died on. I replaced the harddrive and now I am looking for software? I've herd of folks modding these units. Looking to se if anyone has any recommendations on software and where I might get said software. I've contacted Cary who can't find a software disc for the unit.....
2channeljunkie
That is very unfortunate.

Cary Audio MS1 uses some very simple, generic MoBo with integrated CPU. The only ’mods’ you could do is to replace the HDD with SSD, add some RAM and change the software.

Personally, I would install Linux on a new SSD drive and then I would use is as an end point for Roon.

That would ofc require Roon to be installed on some other computer connected to the same net - be it a loptop or your desktop.

You can also install Win 7/64-bit and use it with Jriver, although that would require a monitor connection (at least periodical). 
A quick google for the manual says there is a  RESTORE & UPDATE DVD. So, Cary should step up and give it to you.
If they don't, I would definitely post your experience.
Other than that, I would do what elberoth2 suggested or build your own server. I built mine fairly easily on a Windows PC, perhaps not the best, but it works for me.
I have the restore disc. However this only restores the unit to factory settings. It's not a software install disc.

where would I get a music server install disc such as Jriver or Linux? I'm a newbie at this...